H&R model 1906

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by stripercity, Apr 5, 2009.

1. stripercity

stripercity New Member

Hi all. Im brand new to this board. I just bought this H&R model 1906 serial number 91xxx. I just wanted to know a few things about it and I cant seem to find any info on it. It has H&R model 1906 22 CAL RF on the topstrap. the left side of the barrel has the address and 22 rimfire stamped in it. Id like to know anything you can tell me about it in general and I have a few technical questions too.

The hand is not turning the cylinder like it should be. is there a spring inside there that is supposed to keep that had pushed out toward the cylinder? it goes up and down with the cocking of the hammer but there it doesnt seem to push out hard enough to catch the gears on the cylinder. also, the hammer has to be at 1/4 cock for the double action to work. If anyone can tell me if these seem like simple fixes and if its worth it I would greatly appriciate it.

Also, are there any aftermarket grips made for the gun? I have a big hand and its hard to hold.

If you made it this far id like to thank you for taking the time and Id really appriciate any Info I can get on this thing.

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

MODEL 1906 SMALL SOLID FRAME DOUBLE ACTION.22 RIMFIRE CALIBER --1905-1941
    7 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish (blue optional), 2½, 4½ or 6 inch barrel lengths, hard rubber Target Logo grips, marked with company name and address on left side of barrel and on top strap in two lines “H&R MODEL 1906 22 CAL. R.F.” After 1930 listed in catalogs as: H&R MODEL 6 DOUBLE ACTION No. 96 .22 RF CALIBER 7 shot
    VALUE: 100%=$185 60%=$65

it sounds like you are in need of some spring replacements, both trigger return and cylinder hand. there was a over size two piece hard rubber grip option available for this model but this grip very seldom shows up on the used parts market thesee days.
    bill

3. stripercity

stripercity New Member

Thanks for the info Bill. Can you give me an estimate of the year it was made with a 91xxx serial number? also, I was wondering if I could shoot 22 LR out of it or if I should stick with shorts. About the springs, Is that something that I could try myself? I have some mechanical ability but Im no gunsmith. Thanks again.

Jim

4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

with this revolver i would stay with 22 shorts. replacing these springs is not a major problem but it does require disassembly of the action which can be tricky to reassemble.
    bill