Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

H & R Model 940 year?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Trinity1, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Trinity1

Trinity1 New Member

I just purchased a H & R model 940 revolver and am trying to figure out what year it is the # is AJ54169. Can anyone give me any info on this. Also are there rear sights available for this gun aswell still? Thank you so much for any info.

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

'AJ' = 1972. The Model 940 was one of the "NEW GENERATION" of handguns introduced by H&R starting around 1953. The 940 was a modification of the original swing out cylinder model 929. The 940 was introduced in 1970 and remained in production until 1980 in two variations. Your piece is the first variation with the frame mounted firing pin, 6" round barrel with vented raised rib and fully adjustable rear sight. The second variation was introduced in 1973 and incorporated the patented "transfer bar safety/ignition system". The sister piece to the 940 was the model 939 which had the same features but was equipped with a slab sided 6" barrel. Both these models were well made and had desirable attributes - but don't seem to have been big sellers at the time. Fewer of the 940s are seen than the 939, so few that I would consider them somewhat scarce.
    Current retail value in 100% NIB condition is a tad over $300. Value in average condition, 80% to 90% will range around $200 +/- 25 - although this is mostly speculation as I have not seen any sell for a couple years.
    They are good shooters and have good accuracy potential. Enjoy it, shoot it.

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

3. Trinity1

Trinity1 New Member

thank you SO much for all the
    Info. I truly appreciate it!

4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Trinity,
    You are most welcome - glad to help out.
    Thanks for thanking.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR

5. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

trinity,
    Try here for your rear sight.

Numrich gun parts.

The schematic for the model 940 shows the rear sight blade as being available.
    The rest of the parts are not shown.
    BUT, if you go to the model 939 ( same gun, different barrel ) schematic all the other rear sight parts are shown as being available.
    It looks to me, if you order from both schematics, you can get all the parts for the model 940 rear sight.
    I always call, and speak to them, rather than order online. They are very helpful.
    Have your serial # handy.
    Jim

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011