H&R pistol?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by khart621, Apr 8, 2009.

1. khart621

khart621 New Member

hello I have a 32 h&r arms company. out of worcester.mass.it's a american double action 32 s&w .ctge.
    serial# 185887.First of all do you know what the ctge. stands for? how old it might be,and of coarse the value?
    Any help would be great Thanks Keith

2. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Hello khart621,

Well, what I can tell you is that "ctge." is an abbreviation for CARTRIDGE

So, "32 s&w .ctge." stands for the ammunition the revolver was designed to fire, .32 S&W rounds.

These could be either black powder if it's an early model, or smokeless if it's a later model production firearm.

If the roll mark saying .32 S&W is on the left hand side of the barrel it would be, I believe, made to fie smokeless powder cartridges.

Mr. Bill Goforth, quite an expert on these firearms, will soon be along to give you a more "in depth" idea of the firearm you have - guess based on the serial # you give.

However, I do believe that a bit more detailed information and maybe some pictures of the firearm you would facilitate matters a bit.

- marco

3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER MODEL):------------------------------------ 1884-1904
    32 caliber 6 shot, 38 caliber 5 shot, 44 caliber 5 shot, pull pin cylinder release, barrel length 2½, 4½ & 6 inches nickel finish standard, blue considered rare. Marked on top strap “AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”,
    first variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard----------1884-1887
    second variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard-----1888-1897
    third variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel-------1898-1904
    100%=$225 60%=$95, 1st Variation rarely seen, add 50% premium., for all American Double Actions variations and variants: add 15% premium for blue finish, add 10% premium for 4 ½ “ or 6” barrel, add 5%-10% premium for nickel trigger guard (pre 1898)

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL
    (SMOKELESS POWDER) ---------------------------------------1905-1941
    32 caliber 6 shot, 38 caliber 5 shot, 44 caliber 5 shot, pull pin cylinder release, calibers and barrel lengths are the same as first model, 44 Webley caliber discontinued in 1921, nickel finish, blue optional. Difference between First Model and Second Model is the caliber Markings on the left side of the barrel. After 1930 this model was listed in catalogs as; AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION No. 60 .32 Caliber 6 shot and AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION No. 65 .38 Caliber 5 shot
    100%=$225 60%= $75 For all American Double Action Second Models add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% for 4 ½” or 6” barrel

this one is a second model most likely manufactured before 1915.
    bill

4. khart621

khart621 New Member

Thats what i was looking for Thank you both