The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Yes, it can be done. Sometimes rifle barrels drop right in and sometimes they require fitting. H&R shotguns used an SB1 receiver, so that is almost certainly what you have.
There is an easy way to tell for sure. Take the buttstock off and look at the back of your receiver. The SB1 is solid; SB2s are skeletonized (see the attachment).

SB1 vs SB2 Frame.png

If you have an SB2 receiver, you can use any barrel. However, the SB1 frames are safe only with low pressure cartridges like the 22 Hornet, 30-30, pistol cartridges (44 mag, 357 mag, 45 Colt) and maybe the 45-70 with nothing hotter than trapdoor loads. BTW, like apparently everything else, H&R barrels have become hard to find and pricey. Good luck and stay safe. Just because a high pressure rifle barrel fits an SB1 frame doesn't mean it's OK. My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
29,022 Posts
Yes, it can be done. Sometimes rifle barrels drop right in and sometimes they require fitting. H&R shotguns used an SB1 receiver, so that is almost certainly what you have.
There is an easy way to tell for sure. Take the buttstock off and look at the back of your receiver. The SB1 is solid; SB2s are skeletonized (see the attachment).

View attachment 252927

If you have an SB2 receiver, you can use any barrel. However, the SB1 frames are safe only with low pressure cartridges like the 22 Hornet, 30-30, pistol cartridges (44 mag, 357 mag, 45 Colt) and maybe the 45-70 with nothing hotter than trapdoor loads. BTW, like apparently everything else, H&R barrels have become hard to find and pricey. Good luck and stay safe. Just because a high pressure rifle barrel fits an SB1 frame doesn't mean it's OK. My two cents.
It's odd that you can use any barrel with the SB2 but lower pressure chamberings for the solid SB1.

·
Super Moderator
29,022 Posts
Does seem odd. The solid SB1s look stronger, but they are made of cast iron. The skeletonized SB2s are steel.
Now that makes sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I should have looked at my gun before posting. It is a New England Pardner 20ga SB1. My interest was to get a .243 barrel installed so i could have a cheap combo gun. So is it possible or feasible to do this conversion and if so, who do I contact? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Possible, but most definitely NOT SAFE. Pressures for most loads in the 243 Winchester run around 55,000 PSI, way above what your SB1 receiver can handle.

Reactions: One Shot

·
Registered
765 Posts
I know years back HR1871 used to offer barrels as a separate service but I'm not finding that info now.
A quick look at the HR1871 website shows their Handi-Rifle in .243 is on the SB2 receiver so they wouldn't do that caliber for your 20 gauge.
Last time I looked into possibly getting rifle barrels for the NEF 12 gauge I had, I quickly figured out it would probably be cheaper to find a decent used single shot rifle than to get a new barrel. Of course these days firearm prices are a bit crazy.
But either way, the caliber you want is a no-go for the receiver you have.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
H&R1871 closed down some time ago (2015 if I remember right), but SB2 receivers, barrels and complete rifles turn up fairly regularly on the internet. BTW, your 20 gauge barrel could be fitted to (or might drop right into) an SB2 receiver. That conversion would be perfectly safe. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
42,744 Posts
I used to have several H&R and NEF rifles and most of the H&R's were sent back to H&R, at one time or another, to have different barrels fitted to them. I have since sold off all of the extra barrels and a good many of the rifles, only Handi-rifles that I have left is a 7mm-08 and a 46/70, both H&R.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts