The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1st time on these forum and I just want to say ahead of time thanks to everyone who take the time to pass some knowledge.

I bought 2 storage lockers yesterday and found some weapons in one of them. I have several to post but I am going to do one at a time because they are all so different.

1st one is a H&R Single Shot Model Number 195. It dose not say Model 195 or USRA anywhere on it. On the side it has:

H.&R. Single Shot
Long Rifle Cartridge

On the top of the barrel:

Harrinoton & Richardson Arms Co
Worcester Mass U.S.A.

I found the serial number and was shocked to see it was 85 and I could not find any other markings. I found I am going to sell and I was wondering what would be a good start point for the price of this gun.

All the weapons Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

Tool Metal

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks for putting those up, Schmukie, it's a great piece. Jim Hauff, if he were still with us, would be delighted to see them. Because of him, this forum is a regular H&R internet resource, so they will be more useful than you know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One of the most knowledgeable folks about H&R USRA pistols, and probably the owner of the second largest collection, is L. Richard Littlefield, who has published his phone number and P. O. box address in the Gun Digest Book of values. He is always interested in more information about H&R USRA pistols, and has created an illustrated questionnaire. He can be reached at (603) 532-8004 or FAX -4501. His address is P. O. Box 9, Jaffrey NH 03542.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The acknowledged H&R experts may expand on this. But according to 'The Gun Traders Guide", your pistol was MFG from 1928 to 1941.
"Book value", which IMO should be viewed as more of a general "horse shoes close" but not Gospel guideline states value in Excellent condition at $481. And in Good condition $277. Nice find!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Both from the serial number and the features, your #85 is obviously a very early gun. I would be surprised if it was made in the thirties at all. While H&R USRA pistols were constantly improving, and later guns may usually be worth more than earlier ones, I wouldn't be surprised if yours were an exception. I am certainly no expert, but I would guess that one of the few people interested in USRA pistols would pay a little more than the prices quoted above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own two USRA single shot pistols. Serial numbers 5xx (10") and 19xx (7"). Both are marked USRA. The models manufactured in 1928 and 1929 were not marked USRA. The USRA Model was announced until March 1930 in the American Rifleman. So your pistol was manufactured in 1928 or 1929. Altogether some 3300 pistols were manufactured between 1928 and 1941. There were changes in barrels, extractors, sites, frames and triggers along the way. There were also many grip variations due to Walter F. Roper joining H&R in 1930. If you decide to sell yours, Fastrat is correct. I think you could probably get $500-700 on an auction site, in the condition shown, assuming there are no mechanical issues. Normally, the later models do seem to attract higher prices. But a two digit serial number? Who knows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.