The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to life circumstances, I have not been able to get out to shoot my H&R 999 sportsman for 10 years. Over the years, I have periodically cleaned and oiled it just to keep it function. I finally got to take it to a range recently and when I opened the break action, the ejection mechanism did not come up but instead the cylinder popped off. I was not able to get the cylinder back on and think the cylinder catch may have broken. Unfortunately, I have completely forgotten how to remove the barrel assembly so I can replace the cylinder catch (or at least look at it). Any advice, pictures, etc. on how to do this? I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I tried looking through the forums but could not find anything on this. Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Due to life circumstances, I have not been able to get out to shoot my H&R 999 sportsman for 10 years. Over the years, I have periodically cleaned and oiled it just to keep it function. I finally got to take it to a range recently and when I opened the break action, the ejection mechanism did not come up but instead the cylinder popped off. I was not able to get the cylinder back on and think the cylinder catch may have broken. Unfortunately, I have completely forgotten how to remove the barrel assembly so I can replace the cylinder catch (or at least look at it). Any advice, pictures, etc. on how to do this? I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I tried looking through the forums but could not find anything on this. Many thanks in advance!
If I understand your question correctly, you do not have to remove the barrel to remove or replace the cylinder catch.

Can you post photos of the revolver?

Sprint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understand your question correctly, you do not have to remove the barrel to remove or replace the cylinder catch.

Can you post photos of the revolver?

Sprint
After further research, I have found you are correct that I do not need to remove the barrel. I think I have figured out how to do it. I ordered a new catch. When it arrives I will take pictures with everything apart, during replacement, and after reassembled (assuming I get it together) for others to reference. If I can't get it assembled, I will post pictures of what I am doing seeking guidance. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After further research, I have found you are correct that I do not need to remove the barrel. I think I have figured out how to do it. I ordered a new catch. When it arrives I will take pictures with everything apart, during replacement, and after reassembled (assuming I get it together) for others to reference. If I can't get it assembled, I will post pictures of what I am doing seeking guidance. Thanks!
Here are pictures of the disassembled revolver, the old and new catch (note the broken end), and the assembly process. I used the drill bit as a guide to more easily install the new catch. It took about 60 secs start to finish (took longer to take the pictures!)

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here are pictures of the disassembled revolver, the old and new catch (note the broken end), and the assembly process. I used the drill bit as a guide to more easily install the new catch. It took about 60 secs start to finish (took longer to take the pictures!)
You did good! Glad to see you got it up and running. Enjoy!

Sprint

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.