The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 105 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 · (Edited)
David,
It's a 1st Model 1st Variation. Made sometime between Oct. 1932 and probably end of March 1933.
A couple questions for you:
a. How is the front sight fixed in the barrel? Check pics: A, B or C
b. Does the cylinder have a raised rim around the back face?
c. Is the cylinder stamped: "PATENT APPLIED FOR"

Auto part Muffler Automotive exterior

Font Auto part Tool accessory Metal

Font Auto part Metal

Circle Silver Metal Pendant Fashion accessory

thank you for getting back so fast!
it has front sight "a"
raised rim on cylinder
patent applied for
it also has 22 long rifle ctg. on it.
the grips are different than the picture though,it has dark wood and textured sides and back.

i love this gun, ihave wanted one since i first got my license to carry 20 years ago. i was looking at the website of a local gun shop and saw it listed under used guns.i swung by and looked at it. he wanted 295.00 but i talked him down to 260.00.i wonder if this gun was in mass its whole life?i live only 30 miles from the factory!

Discussion starter · #64 ·
david,
Thanks for the additional info - it really helps and I've recorded it in my research data base. From that data - the configuration of your piece is very consistent with others in that s/n range and the rough date I gave you is valid - but it's probably closer to Jan. '33 production - more data, closer estimates.
The mono-grip on my example has, most likely, been sanded down, removing the checkering. The gip on your gun, as you describe it, sounds to be one of the four standard configs. used during that time period, so it should be original (American Black Walnut - select grade.)
I'm thinking you got a good deal on that gun - it's collectible as well as shootable. The only "drawback" is the fixed front sight. But POI/elevation impact can be regulated by choosing the correct bullet weight and velocity to bring you to center of target.
Nice gun - and thanks again for the information.

Footwear Shoe Metal

Wood

Jim, any info on manufacture date?

Sportsman Model 999 4" barrel
Serial Number HH003117
Firing Pin on frame -transfer bar
Cylinder has rim, NO patent number stampings anywhere
Manufacturer's address on left side of frame (H&R, GARDNER, MA)
Double Action
fixed front sight, pinned in slot

Discussion starter · #66 ·
bfips,
Thanks for the info - data has been logged.
Your SPORTSMAN 999 was made in early 1994 - probably no later than mid Feb.
It has all the attributes expected from that era. It was made under the resurrected company (1991) known then as H&R 1871 Inc. We should probably call this the 4th model as some changes were made to the frame and grip. It appears that the 4" barrel, which was fairly uncommon between 1953 and 1986 and virtually unheard of between 1933 and 1952, was popular and probably in the majority by the time your gun was made.
It should be an accurate and fun shooter. Enjoy!
Merry Christmas

Jim, one note or mistake on my part. The front sight has a pin and an adjusting screws right above the muzzle. The pin appears to be the pivot for the adjusting screw. Bill

bfips,
Thanks for the info - data has been logged.
Your SPORTSMAN 999 was made in early 1994 - probably no later than mid Feb.
It has all the attributes expected from that era. It was made under the resurrected company (1991) known then as H&R 1871 Inc. We should probably call this the 4th model as some changes were made to the frame and grip. It appears that the 4" barrel, which was fairly uncommon between 1953 and 1986 and virtually unheard of between 1933 and 1952, was popular and probably in the majority by the time your gun was made.
It should be an accurate and fun shooter. Enjoy!
Merry Christmas

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Bill,
I caught that - that's the way it's supposed to be - so I just assumed......
Anyway thanks for the correction.

Merry Christmas

1. Serial Number D64**
2. Firing pin mounted in frame (Hammer is flat)
3. Safety rim on cylinder? PATENT APPLIED FOR; one patent number; two patent numbers? Not sure what this means, but see photo.
4. Cylinder release: 1" long lever on right side
5. Location of Manufacturer's address - on top of barrel -
6. DA
7. Fixed front sight? Looks pinned in slot

Just bought today from a friend. They'd had it since new, but she had no info as was hubby's and he has passed.
Hope I answered everything right. Hoping to get more info on what I have. This gun is so easy to handle and smooth. Love it! :)
Looking forward to your info, and possilby what you think it's worth. Not selling, but hoping I didn't over pay.
Thanks!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #71 ·
MNgal,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info and pics.
Your SPORTSMAN was made in the summer of 1933, it is a 1st Model 2nd Variation - from the pics and the "attributes" - flat sided barrel, frame mounted firing pin, safety rim on cylinder, 1" right side cylinder release lever. Your gun may have one PATENT number stamped on the cylinder between two of the flutes. The front sight is adjustable (from the position of the pin) - there will be an adjustment screw just below the front sight on the end of the barrel just above the barrel bore/muzzle.
It looks to be in very good+ condition - estimated RETAIL value in the condition observed is $300 to $350.
I have data on several pieces in the 6 thousand range. Having the full serial number of your piece would certainly help flesh out the data in this time frame. There were changes being made and I'd like to pin them down a bit more.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Auto part Metal Steel

Revolver

You are right, mine has that screw on the end of the gun, just as your D5552 has. So it is adjustable. Also, there is the one Patent number on cylinder, with the same patent # as the D5552.
Final number is 81 for your pinning down of things. It is in good shape, and I hadn't had time to clean it before taking the photos. Happy with the purchase, and so glad I found your site.
Thank you!

Discussion starter · #74 ·
MNgal,
Thank you very much for filling in the other data - your piece is exactly what I would expect from that Mid 1933 production - looks like H&R had settled down on that config. as "typical", at least for another couple months to a year - then things start getting screwy again. Also thanks for the additional digits - they will come in very handy.
Don't be too agressive with the clean-up - you will find a very nice deep blue-black finish under the gunk. I have used FLITZ or METAL GLO paste polishes on over 600 handguns over the years and when I followed the directions and wasn't to iron handed, the results came out spectacularly. Use a soft cloth to apply and another to remove the dried/hazed polish - use circular motions where possible and a light touch. Take the grip off before you start clean-up.
Glad to help, glad you found this site with your valuable data and thanks for thanking.

Discussion starter · #75 ·
JamesJo,
Jim - the wartime guns will have the small push button cylinder release on the left side. Yes, the 'D' in this case stands for 'Double Action' - it was only used for a year or two, from serial number ~D4000 to ~D29999. Data base is really starting to help out with dating and variation runs. NEED MORE DATA

Hello. Just bought a sportsman. Found your forum on line and was curious as to what I have. No pics at this time. Condition is superb. All blueing intact,no dings or scratches or signs of excessive wear.
Grip is one piece, walnut with crosshatch on three sides.
Adjustable front and rear sites, front site pinned
Firing pin on hammer
H&R "sportsman" double action on left side barrel
Address on right side barrel
No patten #s on cylinder
22 long rifle ctg on right cyl
Serial# K1951 on frame with 951 on cylinder and ejector star
Serated trigger and hammer
Great pistol. Very accurate with light trigger.
Small cylinder release pin on left side

Discussion starter · #78 ·
Danny,
Welcome to the forum.
Your SPORTSMAN 999 was made in 1950 and is a 1st Model 8th Variation - in 1953 the grip frame was changed starting thte 2nd Model. Your piece has all the characteristics of the final Variation. Thanks for the data, I've added it to my data base.
In condition described, current RETAIL value will range up to around $390 - $425. These ARE accurate and easy shooting guns. Can't beat popping out 9 empties at one time for a dramatic effect.

Jim,

I have a Sportsman that I inherited from my grandma. Here is all of the info:

1: D26572
2: Hammer Mounted Firing pin
3: Safety Rim, 2 Pat. #'s:1904730 & 2034632
4: 1" lever release
5: Address on Top
6: DA
7: Adjustable

I am having firing problems with it. I think I need a new cylinder. When I cock the hammer, the cylinder doesn't quite line up with the barrel and has sent lead shavings out of the side of the gun. Any ideas where I would be able to get a new cylinder?

*Edit: Updated with Pictures

TYIA,
Fatty

61 - 80 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.