The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...new to the forum and enjoying all the subjects and expertise. Recently received this gun that was passed down to me from my father, who got it from his father. It’s a .32 octagon barrel. Appears to work perfectly with clean bore and silky action. Removed grips and found #49. No plans to sell, just curious how old. Figure it’s worth more sentimentally than monetarily.
4426E8B1-5549-4442-B960-AB92D273AAA6.jpeg

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your American Double Action was made in the 1888-1897 period. The serial numbers were actually batch numbers and repeat themselves multiple times. As such they are of no value in determining a manufacture date. The octagon barrel and nickled trigger guard is what brackets your manufacture dates. I would value it at about $150.00 or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff, thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I also received an old single shot .410. It’s an Iver Johnson Champion serial number 13251XH. Thinking it was produced in the 30’s?
26C1E920-44FA-4815-B133-898137673AEF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts
Your American Double Action was made in the 1888-1897 period. The serial numbers were actually batch numbers and repeat themselves multiple times. As such they are of no value in determining a manufacture date. The octagon barrel and nickled trigger guard is what brackets your manufacture dates. I would value it at about $150.00 or so.
Good grief....is there no limit to the knowledge base on this web site? Amazing...and fortunate!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Jeff, thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I also received an old single shot .410. It’s an Iver Johnson Champion serial number 13251XH. Thinking it was produced in the 30’s? View attachment 226316
Your IJ shotgun was made sometime between 1930-1939.
The forearm wood was replaced at some point with a homemade one.
"Normal world" value would be about $100 to the right person in that condition mostly because it's chambered in .410 gauge.
Lately it's been "Bizzaro world" on the major online auction sites (and some gun shops) with selling prices all over the map. I recently saw a .410 IJ "parts kit" (all the parts except the receiver) sell for about $150 once shipping cost was factored in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts