The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have an H&R (antique?) revolver and can't find anything regarding a timeframe of manufacture. The top of the barrel is stamped (in very tiny font) Harrington & Richardson Arms Company, Worchester, Mass. U.S.A. Pat. Oct. 4, 1887, May 14, 89, Feb. 23, 92. Serial # is 4XXX. It also has swirly engraving on it. Pics attached. Any info is appreciated! Thanks
H&R Top-break 32 Barrel.jpg
H&R Top-break 32.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional info - 3" barrel, no other markings on barrel, shell ejector with open top, serial number is under top strap (above cylinder) and on left side of grip frame. Looks more like a dulled nickel finish than a patina'd blue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Kandy,
You have an H&R "Premier" revolver and is in .32 S&W caliber. It is the first model and is from circa 1895. That "swirly engraving" is called engine turning and is not original to the revolver. The revolver is most assuredly nickle finished as blue was not offered on this model.

I hope this was helpful.
With best regards,
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
28,588 Posts
Hi Kandy,
That "swirly engraving" is called engine turning and is not original to the revolver.

I hope this was helpful.
With best regards,
Jeff
Well I learned a new term today. I've never heard it called that before, I have always heard it called "jeweling" and only ever seen it on rifle bolts.

Reactions: gdmoody

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kandy,
You have an H&R "Premier" revolver and is in .32 S&W caliber. It is the first model and is from circa 1895. That "swirly engraving" is called engine turning and is not original to the revolver. The revolver is most assuredly nickle finished as blue was not offered on this model.

I hope this was helpful.
With best regards,
Jeff
Thank you, Jeff - very helpful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts