The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inherited one of these some time back in great condition. Have a few questions about it that I'm hoping you can answer for me. First, there is an L on the side, but no serial #. The only other information on it is Worcester, Mass. Any idea as to what year it was manufactured? I'm thinking early 50's...'51 perhaps? Second, the barrel says "20GA CHOKE" and below that "PROOF TESTED", but no mention anywhere of the max shell length or shot size. Any ideas? I've put about 300 shells of 2-3/4 8 shot through her with no problem, but will she handle a 3"? What about max shot size? Not expecting 00/000. Lastly, I've thought about the "if I ever need to" scenario of firing slugs through her. As long as I stick to foster slugs you think I'll be ok, or just forget about the idea entirely? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Your Topper model 48 with the single letter "L" on the left side of the frame was manufactured in 1951. If the barrel was chambered for 3" shells, it would be so marked.

The choke constriction would be to "Full" specification and any commercially manufactured 2 3/4" shotshells can be used in a gun in good condition. Foster slugs can be used in your full choke barrel.

Sprint

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more question. The butt plate is split down the center and the top of it is missing from the top screw up. Were all butt plates for these models the same size or were they sized to fit the stock? I've found one, but from the measurements given and comparing them to the measurements of my stock (butt plate removed) it seems the replacement butt plate would be about 1/4" too short. As I don't have the top portion and cannot find any good pics I don't know if the top flares out like the bottom. As such, I don't know if this will be an issue or not. All other dimensions (screw spacings and width) are spot on. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The butt plates were sanded to the stock and some variations will occur.

Contact H&R 1871 (Remington) for a replacement. The newer one should work with fitting.

Sprint

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sprint! Was searching for a vintage one, but it seems that will be nearly impossible given your information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts