The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H&R Young America .32 Revolver that belonged to my grandfather. I would like to know when it was made and an approximate value.

The S/N is 6096, the barrel is octagon-shaped, everything is nickel-plated except for the hammer which is blued. The only markings on it are the words "Young America" and "Double Action" above the cylinder.
Thank you.
Robert Lee
Florence, SC

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Can you post good pictures? I am not sure from that information which model you have, but that name was used from 1884 to 1941; ones made after about 1909 would be suitable for smokeless powder. Maybe someone else can give you a more exact date.

There is a mild collector interest in those guns, but value depends almost entirely on condition. Top value, in "as new" condition will run around $250; in average condtion around half that. Chipped or peeling plating, rust, refinishing, missing or broken parts will reduce the value significantly.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Jim,
I must appologize for taking so long to reply. Attached are 4 photos of my H&R Young America. Note the only words are "Young America" and "Double Action". Also, everything is nickel plated with the exception of the hammer which is blued. Again, it's a .32 caliber with the s/n 6096.

The nickel is in much better condition than the photos would imply. It is pretty much like new with the exception of a few places where it is chipped.

I am more interested in the year it was made than the value.
Thank you again,
Bob Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Per your request I posted a few photos of my H&R Young America last week. I'm new to this forum; did I post them correctly? I haven't heard from you.
Bob Lee

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Here's a breakdown posted by the late H&R and Iver Johnson expert Bill Goforth in 2009:

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
(BLACK POWDER) -----------------1884-1904
pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish standard, blue considered rare, marking on top strap only “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” two frame sizes: SMALL SOLID FRAME .22 RIMFIRE 7 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches, MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER 5 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
First Variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard-----------1884-1887
Second Variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard-----1888-1897
Third Variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel--------------1897-1904

This would date your example with nickel trigger guard to 1888-1897.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I inherited one of these from my Uncle John. It is pretty rusty and only works sinle action now. S/N 49312. Any idea of the year or manufacture and the value in NRA good condition?

Thanks, Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts