The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
14,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
does a guy use different charges for each powder and if so, how much?

.270 win, hdy 150 spire point

I have the H4831 SC but only see recipes for regular cut.
I want to do a ladder test, what charges are safe?

a while back JLA gave me a recipe but my phone got cleared out. his included CCI magnum primers

· Banned
2,751 Posts
Charge weights are the same. When switching from one to the other you should still drop down and work back up.

From Hodgdon.

It is probably safe to say more big game has been taken with H4831 than any other powder. Bruce Hodgdon was the first supplier to introduce this popular burning rate in 1950. Since that time it has become a favorite for cartridges like the 270 Winchester, 25-06 Remington, 280 Remington and 300 Winchester Magnum. As an Extreme Extruded propellant it shares the fine quality of insensitivity to hot/cold temperatures, as well as superb uniformity from lot to lot.
H4831SC - Ballistically, this Extreme Extruded powder is the exact copy of H4831. Physically, it has a shorter grain size, therefore, the designation SC or short cut. The shorter, more compact kernels allow the powder to flow through the powder measures more smoothly, helping to alleviate the constant cutting of granules. With the smoother flow characteristics comes more uniform charge weights, while the individual grains orient more compactly, creating better loading density. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

· Registered
3,585 Posts
Yup, when I switched from H4831 to H4831SC I dropped back and reworked the loads but velocities are near identical between the two in any caliber that I've switched over and I have wound up right where the old H4831 charge was at.

· Registered
3,585 Posts
I use standard primers for all of my 4831 loads.
Either H4831 doesn't seem to be too temp sensitive so I haven't seen the need for the hotter primer even in winter time.

About the only powders that I use magnum primers for are the spherical powders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.