The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum Friends,

This was my first experience shooting my Stoeger Couch Side by Side Shotgun. I expected it to kick hard, but what I didn’t expect, was it to kick at me like a mule! The new recoil pad didn’t help my shoulder out a bit.

At the shooting range I went to, the only shotgun shells they allow were shotgun slugs. I’m not sure what the load was, but it sent me back a few inches.

They wouldn’t let me shoot the light load (1.25oz ) ammo I had with me. I had to by their shotgun slugs. All in all it wasn’t a good experience for me.

I’m not going to let it discourage me. I’ll take it out again and use a light load, and maybe a should pad, just in case.

Maybe all you experienced shotgun owners, can help me with any explanation on why my shotgun gave me such a kick. I’m sure the 18" barrel might have been a part of it. How ‘bout the load?

I'm not a small guy, and I can handle the impact of a rifle verywell. But, this shotgun, flat out said it wanted my respect! LOL :D

· Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strange range.

How does the shotgun fit you? You say you are not a small guy but is the gun "short" for your length of pull? With shotgun almost more so than rifles fit is very important; if it is short for you it will give pronounced recoil, if too large it can not be shouldered well and seems to dance around your shoulder between shots. Do you have a decent gunsmith or skeetclub that you can go to?
Before I went to the range, I had a gunsmith "Fit" the stock. It was 3" to long, so he cut it down to fit my me. He also added a recoil pad and made the adjustment for it. I was able to sight in quickly. He did a beautiful job on the stock and only charge me $80.00 for it. Nice guy too.

· Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked everywhere to find a good gun range in Minnesota without having to pay an arm and a leg for the privilege of being a member. So, heck with it, I purchased a few acres in Marshfield, MO. I looking forward to having some fun out there. It's only 3.75 acres, but I can live with that.:)

Thank for all your input. I can alway count on great feedback. Thank you:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.