The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Maybe they don't make you buy theirs. But if they say, "Slugs only", and you ain't got no slugs, you either get in your car and drive to the store, or buy their stuff.

Indoor range I shoot at says, "Shotgun- slugs only". I guess they are afraid of you blowing away their returns. Son-in-law went to an indoor range in Georgia. Took the shotgun. They told him, "Slugs only". It seems to be common.

Hell, we went to an outdoor range, and they said, "No shotguns, period".

I guess, since everybody knows (from watching TV and movies) that shotguns are overwhelming death-dealing devices, the range owners/managers figger no one needs to practice with them.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Federal makes "reduced recoil" buckshot. I think they also make "reduced recoil" slugs.

Best as I can figger out, they decided that cops were not shooting deer at 75 yards, but were shooting people at 15 yards, and therefore did not need as much power. There are two ways to reduce recoil in ammo. Lower the speed or lower the weight. Since the weight is still there, they must have lowered the speed.

If you think of a hunting slug as a 357, these are 38 specials. Fine for the range. Should not beat you up as much. And at living room range it should not make a difference.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Pull the buttplate. Measure the diameter of the bolt-hole. Get a hunk of copper tubing that will fit in the hole. Get it about 3 or 4 inches inches too long. Squeeze one end of the tube closed in a vice. Fold it at the squeeze and squeeze it again.

You now have a copper tube sealed at one end, that should be an inch or so longer than the bolt hold. Fill it with molten lead.

Once the lead has hardened, cut the tube off to the correct length (cutting the crimped end off). You can drop that crimped up piece of copper in your lead pot and the lead will melt right out of it.

You now have a copper coated lead ingot that exactly fits that long hole in your stock. Drop it in and put the butt plate back on. That half-pound or so of weight will make an amazing difference in the recoil.

Some people just pour in lead shot, but that ingot is much easier to remove and put back.

You can also use electrical conduit, but conduit, being thicker, means it will weigh slightly less than the copper, because there is less room for lead. Also, putting the cut-off piece of conduit in you pot to melt the lead out is not something I would do. Galvanizing being a Zinc coating. Wouldn't want that in my lead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.