The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot the December Steel Challenge Match with the Deer Tribe club in Phoenix, Az. today. Not many people endured the cold weather, cold at least by Arizona standards. We started with the temperature in the low 40 and it only made it up to 54 at the end of the match.

I lucked out. After lots of ammo problems I still ended up beating my personal best by 3 full seconds. Since getting out of my wheelchair a month ago I've done better each month.

My biggest problem today was ammo related. I was getting a lot of weak shots. The ammo would just go puff instead of bang. The RO stopped me 4 times thinking I had a squib but everything exited the gun. This was CCI 36 grain Blazers. It works perfectly in the heat but doesn't appear to like the cold. Next month I'll go back to my Go-To 40 grain Blazers. They always work. I did test the new ammo indoors, didn't get a chance to shoot it outside but now I know to wait until it's warmer. It was all I could find in the stores recently.

I would have had a real good match without having to rack the slide a few times during a number of strings. I'm hyped up hoping I shoot as well next week with better ammunition.

·
9,654 Posts
Where in Phoenix is the shoot located?
I lived there in the mid '70s.
Lived at 2102 N 40th Dr.

I left there and moved to Payson.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Congratulation on your shooting !! What time of shooting is it , one were you go from place to place and shoot steel targets as fast as can ? I know a few guys who build what they call racing guns is this that ? I have waited to late in life to do that now !!!! Been thinking maybe trying the type were it is strictly target shooting next summer , more my pace !!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where in Phoenix is the shoot located?
I lived there in the mid '70s.
Lived at 2102 N 40th Dr.

I left there and moved to Payson.
We shoot at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility on I-17 and the Carefree Hwy. Two Steel Challenge Matches per month on the 2nd and 3rd Sunday of the month.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulation on your shooting !! What time of shooting is it , one were you go from place to place and shoot steel targets as fast as can ? I know a few guys who build what they call racing guns is this that ? I have waited to late in life to do that now !!!! Been thinking maybe trying the type were it is strictly target shooting next summer , more my pace !!
There are 8 stages with 5 steel targets per stage. You stand in a box and shoot the targets as fast as you can. You shoot each stage 5 times and throw away your worst run.

You're not too old to have fun. I'm 69. Until last month I was in a wheelchair and still managed to shoot the match. There is only one stage with movement, you move about 10 feet from one box to another. For handicap shooters you can shoot it all from one box.

All you need is as gun, 5 magazines and about 400 rounds of ammo. I bring extra but you only need about 200 for the course of fire.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Glad you are up and about and enjoying shooting again. .22s are more fun than just about anything for the average guy. You don't have to stay up at night reloading and the ammo is inexpensive. If our club would put on a shoot in the snow, I was always one of the guys who would show up. I never had a problem with .22s getting very weak in the cold but your report on those 36gr Blazers is good to know.

Stoping a shooter with a squib load was something we always trained our ROs in. It can be tough when a guy is going blazing fast to stop him in time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts