Had the Dan Wesson worked on...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by glocknut, May 7, 2009.

What should i do with the Dan Wesson?

Poll closed May 22, 2009.
  1. Trade for the Colt Gold Cup

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Sell it and wait for Wilsons to make me a replacement

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Order and wait for a Kimber...and get a trigger job on it

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Keep tinkering with the Dan Wesson

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Got a gunsmith to work on the trigger. He has the trigger running pretty smooth. Its much more like my Colt Comanders trigger now. I asked him to shoot it so both the gunsmith and one of the sales people shot it afterwards. Neither could hit anywhere near a bullseye. The sales guy was really bothered by that. The opinion they gave me is that since its a Match barrel and only has 200 or so rounds thru it that its not broke in yet....

Ooookay dokey.

The Colt Comander shot bullseyes right out of the box without a match barrel...

The stock sights that came on the Dan Wesson was a nightsight front "trijicon" and rear "dotless" sights. The gunsmith went ahead and punched or drilled? holes in the rear sight to make it a 3 dot sight and put some kind of bright red paint or glue or whatever it is... in the holes. It works better for lining up the sights but its still off. Not to mention that the green front sight and the red rear dots make it look like something walt disney would dream up....

They have a Colt Gold Cup that i have been thinking about trading the dan wesson for. Solid black sights and the finish is blued which is impossible to keep clean in my opinion. I think i would be better with a comander sized 45. I have poor eyesight and i seem to do better with the shorter distance between the front and rear sight. Selection at the local gunshop is not all that great right about now.... slim pickings to say the least.

I know you guys like "tinkering" with your 1911s but i don't. I've never liked tinkering with guns. I like and respect reliability. Another option is to sell the dan wesson and add some money to it and finally buy one customized by Wilsons. I don't really want a match barrel... i want reliability. If i wind up keeping the dan wesson i will start messing with reloading lead bullets and will run them thru the dan wesson... that's probably the only thing i will run thru it. I ain't real thrilled with that idea though. I was figuring i would run lead in the 357mag or the 44mag

I'm gonna post a poll to get opinions on what i should do... trade, tinker some more, or other?

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

not a 1911 expert but i've smithed on more than my share of them while being a 1/2 owner of a gun shop. from my experience i'd say get the gold cup. my reasoning is this. with the colt you'll never lose money. though your other options are all valid. my beliefs are colt is still the premier maker of 1911's. kimber is as good and and wilson and les bear's are in my mind high quality as is sti but nothing says 1911 like a colt. i presently own a few 1911's and the best of the lot in my opinion is my old worn out gold cup.but if you were to install a match barrel with a matched bushing i suspect you'd become more accurate for under 200 bucks. check out www.kingsgunworks.com

3. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Kimber is a good gun bet every one that they had the triggers were so stiff that they would have to be worked on to lighten them up for sure!

The more i think about it the commander size is better for my eyes. I had a kimber a couple of years ago but it was a full size one and i suspect one of the reasons i didn't like it because i was having trouble with the sights...and the trigger was too stiff.

A comander sized but as heavy as a full size regular 1911. The heavier the better!

mike
    gn

4. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

oh for petes sake... 13 views and only 1 opinion?? :mad:

Come on lurkers! You can vote on the poll without having to make a post!!! :rolleyes:

Sheeesh...

mike
    gn

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Mike, it looks like you are fixing to own a Gold Cup! 100% of those that voted, voted that you should trade up!

6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

glocknut:

Opinion? I have lots and here are some of mine:

If you don't want to customize a 1911 yourself then go to a gun store and handle every available 1911 in your price class. Find the one with the best trigger and the best fit and finish and buy it. It will be in the $1000 & up price range and be from S&W or Sig or better Kimbers or better Springfield Arms.

Option 2:

Find the tightest, best fit and finished 1911 from the gun store and don't worry about the trigger. Make sure the gun has a reputation of being accurate (gun tests in magazines?). Buy it and have a good gunsmith (yours is suspect if he can't figure out why a 1911 doesn't shoot well) and have him do a trigger job on it. Then shoot it and enjoy!

More opinion:

Bargain guns, like the Dan Wesson 1911, often are only good for price bragging rights. Buy a better gun and you get better performance. But you may be able to make a cheapy 1911 shoot if you know how. The market place is full of parts to achieve that end.

I took the absolute bottom of the 1911 line of guns, the Rock Island 1911, and made it shoot nearly as well a match gun, by adding all new trigger parts, and a Group Gripper with a tight fitted bushing, retaining the stock RI barrel. But you have to know how to fit 1911 parts as the safety was a bear to fit and get to work properly.

Still more opinion:

While Colt 1911's in the past have been superb for fit and finish, they were not a tight gun with stellar accuracy performance. The exception to this MIGHT BE the Gold Cup but it is priced with some customs. Today I think Colts are over priced for what they are. There are several other manufactures that make better guns for accuracy. But I will admit that some Colts are things of beauty as are some Browning rifles.

LDBennett

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

" yours is suspect if he can't figure out....." truer words were never spoken . the fitting of a bushing and 10 minutes of stoneing the trigger group would of sloved the problem. one of the roughest 1911's i ever toyed with was a norinco and after a barrel bushing and some whittling on the trigger assy. i was able to make it a good shooter with a nice trigger action. and as for the colts the older ones are the better ones in my opinon, the pre series 80 seem tigher and put together better

8. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I have to agree with you that Colts do not "seem" to be built very well. My lightweight commander has a trigger that is just a little loose and if you shake it you can hear several items giggling arround in there that you would not hear on a Kimber or Sig or Smith and Wesson 1911. But the darn thing has a light trigger they way i like it and even with a standard barrel i can go to the range and shoot bullseyes. And it seems pretty reliable so far with one minor exception the first time i took it to the range. On the second shot two items were ejected from the gun... the spent brass of the previous shot as well as an unfired round. There was a round that tried to make it into the chamber but it jammed up the slide a bit and it was a little bit of a buger getting it to unjam. It only happened once and i have never seen anything like it before. Something to do with the magazine i assume? But it worked so well after that that it doesn't make me have any doubts about its reliability. I do think i will use Wilson mags when it is sitting around the house for defense though.
    Bad mags can trip anything up....

And they are indeed pricey. The Gold Cup they have is around $950 or thereabout.

Allmost all of the other 1911s they had there had very stiff triggers except the Springfield Armoury ones. One of those was a mini 45 but i have heard the real small minis have reliablity issues compared to the medium and large size 1911s no matter who they are made by. That's what i have heard anyway.

I dunno...

mike
    gn

9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Glocknut:

oscarmayer's comment is right on. A good smith can make almost any 1911 rock!

While I chose "drop-in" parts for my Rock Island I know how to do and could easily have done a stoning of the sear to get an excellent trigger. To reduce the pull you can either reshape the trigger/sear spring or buy an after market one that splits the function of the spring to sear/grip safety/disconnector individually. Shaping that spring can be done to get the trigger to perfection. Fitting a bushing is harder as a lathe is handy (but it can be done with files) and the fit to the barrel is time consuming if done right. The results can be amazing, as my Rock Island proved to me. I like the Group Gripper to better the fit of the slide to frame to locking lugs. Making a 1911 shot well and have a good trigger is actually easy. The customizing of 1911's pushes the price up with all the questionable extras invented for competition shooters, not for self defense or target practice.

LDBennett

10. techoca

techoca New Member

Sell it. Buy a high end Springfield 1911. I have a SA Loaded model, SA GI model and a 1978 Colt Series 70. Heck, my GI model will shoot the heart out of the Bullseye. The only upgrade it needs in my opinion is better sights, but I bought it for the nostalgia.

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Mike you could always wait to find one of Charles Daly 1911 G4 maodels. They are new and I havent seen on yet but the pics are really nice, You can get better info for it over at the CD forums. The G4 will be my next 1911 purchase.

12. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

still another thought. did you buy the dan wesson new? send it to the factory, see what they say. that is always the first thing you do. then and only then you know if your stuck with a pos. then you can decide to sink more money into it or sell it off and let some other gun nut get stuck.

that is the bad thing about guns. if a company makes a pos and they will not stand behind it then someone gets screwed

my kimber target mdl 1911 in 10mm has a great smooth light trigger out the box.