The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I came across a couple of primers that wouldn't seat well in the primer pocket. Small rifle primers. I didn't want to decap them (too scared) so I decided to pop them. Put the bullet in a vise, got a pair of vice grips, punch and hammer...damn those things are loud. Scared the crap out of me.

kevinh

·
Registered
358 Posts
I decap if I don't like how it seats, or just doesn't feel right when seating. I just take it slow, and have never had one pop on me. I'm sure it'll scare the %$*& outta me if I ever do get one to go off.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Decapped literally 100's over many years and never a pop. Popped one seating it however with the standard priming arm on my RockChucker. Technically there is more of a chance to pop one seating it than DE-capping.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You were too afraid to do this?

And thought this was safer? :eek:
Hehehe...I really didn't know if it was safe or not to decap them. I was afraid they would pop. In the vise, I knew what would happen. I just wasn't expecting such a loud pop.

And, yes, safety glasses are standard equipment anytime I handle primers. Even sitting in the living room watching TV while hand priming them. The wife makes fun of me everytime I insert brass in the shell holder, move the primer away at arms length, turn my head and close my eyes.

kevinh

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Primers aren't as delicate as a lot of folks think (ain't nitro). Been reloading for a lot of years and OOPS! do happen when stuffing primers in brass. Crooked seating, upside down seating, questionalbe manufacturer, and "don't feel right" seating were all all punched out in normal sizing/decapping manner. But I have never had a primer pop unless it was in a case and in a gun. None went off while decapping live primers. But I did have to change my panties once when I was priming some Large Pistol Magnum Primers with my Lee Loader:eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
i asked the same question about decapping primers on this forum and everyone said to go ahead and decap them, and i did with no problem. Reloaded them and they all fired too. yes for sure ware your saftey glasses.

·
Super Moderator
32,214 Posts
Just pnch them out and reuse them. If they weren't seated all the way the anvil was most likely not pushed into place yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.