Hail from The North Woods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Powderhorn, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Hi everyone. Just checking in here. I just discovered this site, lurked a few days, read a few posts, and decided it might be nice to become a part of the community here.

I'm a machinist by trade, and a huge gun nut. Nut-job, as my wife would call me, but she knows that my guns will be a fine inheritance to her when I am worm food.

I love hunting and fishing. Not so much fishing anymore - too many jokers out there pulling tubes and jetskis flying around. Oh but give me a day in the wilderness, and I am right as rain.

Being a machinist, I also do most of my own gunsmithing. I have a parkerizing tank setup, and working on maybe making a salts-bluing tank. I love taking an old used and abused gun off the racks at a gun store and fixing it up new. My pride and joy is an old Savage 24 in .22/.410. It was in really sad, rusty shape, but I worked on it and got it clean and healthy again. I installed new firing pins and springs from Numrich, and did a trigger job. Blasted and parkerized it. It came out very sweet! Even the stock held some surprises in the form of some very nice grain. I finished it in Watco Oil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also took the time to reshape the buttstock a little. The pistol-grip was huge and fat and clunky. I slenderized it. I sawed almost 1/2" off the bottom of the grip!

Well anyway, I'm happy to be a part of this fine site. If you see me hanging around in here, just say howdy!

2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Welcome to our fine forum. That is an absolutely beautiful firearm, one to be proud of for sure. Thanks for putting up the picture!

3. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Welcome to TFF. That particular gun is not my cup of tea but I like the work. I'm partial to old firearms and like to see them resurected. Some years ago some kid inCanada cleaned up an old cap and ball revolver. He covered the pitting with some realy great engraving.

4. artabr

artabr New Member

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a fine job that you've done.

Art

5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Welcome to the forum. It looks like we all amy learn some new things from you. I am sure you will learn many things here.

6. azsigman

azsigman New Member

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading your threads since, as a gunsmith, I make a fine seamstress.......

7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Welcome, very fine work

8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
    Pull up a stump, and enjoy.

9. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!!

10. islenos

islenos Active Member

Nice, very nice........great ta have ya

11. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Welcome to the funny farm. Looks like you did great work there,thanks for the pictures. catfish

12. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

Welcome...a most admirable work.