Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

HAKIM 7.9MM MADE IN EGYPT

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by capiefogman, Apr 5, 2009.

1. capiefogman

capiefogman New Member

i just bought this gun for 40 dollors the the wood on the gun is in very good shap the blue is about 85% it has a ten shot clip and on the end of the barrl it looks lick a flash eliminator but i,am not sure the gun is semiautomatic
    should i keep my forty dollors in my pocket it was something diffrent so i got the gun my wife said i was foolesh to buy it there is writing on the said but it is in egyttian can anyone tell me anything about this gun it also has wood on the top of the barral most of the gun has wood i dont know how to add pictures thank you if you can help me:eek:

2. caper1974

caper1974 New Member

This gun will take 8mm rounds Make sure mag is fully inserted...fire away!!! very fun gun...little re-coil just fired mine tonight for the first time!!!these guns can go for 3 - 500 hundred to right buyer

3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The Hakim is/was a licensed copy (with slight modifications) of the Swedish Lungman rifle. It was designed to fire the 8mm Mauser (7.92x57mm JS). They are tempermental and extremely heavy for an infantry rifle. The Egyptians replaced them with the AK series of rifles.
    I've seen them sit on the shelf (in the shop where I used to work) for months at $US500 - finally sold below 400 bucks. Enjoy, they are unique and will generate some curiosity at the range.

4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

And be careful. Those who complain about "M1 thumb" have never had a Ljungmann go closed on them.

Jim

5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

M1 Thumb is NOTHING compared to that animal snapping closed on you !!

6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Sorry about the misspelling Ljungman it is (thanks Jim K for that.) That sliding bolt cover/bolt catch/bolt release system seems a bit over engineered and over complicated. The first one I had the opportunity to handle was a bit screwed up and the tab in the back of the cover was worn - so it was hit or miss on closing the bolt - it closes with a great deal of "authority" - ANY appendages any where near that bear trap is in danger of becoming an ex-appendage. Other than those problems - they appear to have decent accuracy - I just can't see a bunch of half trained troopies trekking through the desert carrying all that lumber. Off the bench - the weight and all those reciprocating parts tames the recoil - but it is a noisy son of a beach, IMHO! $40 is a great price and probably reflects the real-world value to a non-collector. I've never had one apart for field cleaning - anybody have any insight??? Very interesting rifle. Enjoy yours and how about some range reports? Not much in the way of field experience write-ups out there.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  7. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Alll above is dead on. At gun shows they will sell for $400 all day long. Best $40 you ever spent IMHO. One thing, keep it clean and they tend to be picky as to ammo. I have had several hakims as well as their little brother the Rasheed which is 7.62x39. I had trouble with some of the cheaper surplus 8mm ammo in my hakims and if I rememebr right it was Turk 8mm surplus ammo that gav eme the problems.

8. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

You stole it for $40!
    That's not a flash hider on the muzzle, it's a muzzle brake, and it works. It reduces recoil, and clears out the shooting benches on both sides of you.:D
    Hakims are picky about ammo choice, as JJ said, DO NOT use Turk surplus! Turk powder has a different burn rate than other 8mm surplus, and will beat your Hakim into scrap metal.
    Parts are hard to find, you don't want to break it. A gas valve adjustment tool is a must have.
    Yugo surplus 8mm has hard primers, and most Hakims don't have enough hammer spring to pop them.
    Romanian surplus works perfect, will cycle through your Hakim like a bug through a goose.
    All trigger group screws are staked, and for a reason. They will shake loose, if you have to remove any, make sure you stake them back in place.
    25 round MG-13 mags, with a little modification, fit like they were made for them.
    [​IMG]

With the loaded MG-13 mag, the rifle weighs over 10lbs. That combined with the muzzle brake makes for no recoil. Here's 25 rounds in 7 seconds with Romanian surplus.
    [​IMG]

9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Cool!!! Thanks!!!!!

10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

SaaaaaWEET! Thanks for the vid.,Trap:eek:

11. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

That's my annual "unwind it" week in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. 5-7000 rounds in three days between five of us. Spent cases filled a 5 gal bucket.
    That huge boulder to the right is half of what was there, we undercut and dropped that half the year before. That one in the video came down the next day. You should have heard the echo in that canyon.:eek:
    Five cameras in camp, and no one got video!:mad:
    The dust you see above where I'm shooting, are rounds bouncing off that little rock I'm hitting. The mag full I shot before that, let me get the rhythm of the slight recoil figured out, and I could easily hold all 25 on target. That was the second week in July, and the temp had just got back up to about 34 degrees from an overnight low of 28! Next day it was 80! My boy ended the video before you could see the steam coming off the barrel.:)

12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Seeing that video makes me want one even more....thanks for sharing

13. Gaddock

Gaddock New Member

Is the action like a big SKS type 56?

14. popgun

popgun New Member

wow nice video, looks like that muzzel break really tames that 8mm round.

15. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Gaddock, the action, like Jim Hauff said, is a virtual clone of the Swede Ljungman, and both are unique to themselves. The Egyptian Rasheed, was an attempt to scale the rifle down to SKS size and caliber.
    The bolt and recoil spring assembly is contained in the bolt cover. JimK mentioned "Hakim thumb". Garand thumb will bite you, the Hakim will eat your thumb!:eek:
    The whole unit can be removed for cleaning in about 2 seconds. That's the plus side.
    The minus side; wear safety glasses until you are familiar with the dis-assembly of that unit. The same springs that will take your thumb off, are compressed inside, and caution must be used to take it apart.

I'll give my best shot to try and explain how to cycle the action, it's buried too deep in the back of the safe right now, for me to double check. I have to practice this before I go shoot it, if it's been more than 6mos. :eek: Everything about a semi auto is azzbackwards on this rifle.
    Bolt closed, loaded mag locked in, safety On = to the right.
    Pull back on the charging handle until it locks back with the bolt.
    Flip safety to Off = to the left.
    Make sure body parts you want to keep intact, are clear of the action, and bump the charging handle forward, it does the rest.
    Like I said, I'll have to double check this.
    Here's a link for dis-assembly/ re-assembly with pics. Links are over in the RH column.
    http://207.36.233.89/hakim/index.asp