Hammer droping

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by John Snyder, Jan 12, 2018.

1. John Snyder

John Snyder New Member

I installed a new hammer and sear, I have good lock down and reset, and even drop tested 30 times, The hammer I installed the strut was back a little more and rubbing on the beaver tail, I ground out the groove and the hammer depth to make sure it was not the hammer hitting and not resetting, I Have been working on guns for 40 years And this has me stumped , Unless the strut is pushing on the center spring, there is a rub mark, or I have to grind down farther on the strut groove on the beaver tail towards the back, but it doesnt seem to be rubbing, It may be pushing the strut forward, pushing and rubbing on the spring and keeping it from reseting and droping to half cock. Any Help would Great !!!!

2. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Although of no help to you

welcome.png

John Snyder likes this.

3. orion340

orion340 Well-Known Member

There are several people here that might be able to help you & a couple pictures would also help.
    Welcome from Pennsylvania!

John Snyder likes this.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

What gun? What hammer and sear? Pics would help.

John Snyder likes this.
  5. John Snyder

John Snyder New Member

1911 Springfield Champion, Wilson Combat Finished sear, And A Fusion High Impact Hammer Just Needed Light Stoning with Extra fine stone and polished, Like I said the Lock down is Solid, Its like something Is Keeping The Sear From reseting, It loads fine and does not drop, And Some times Fires Fine, And I Had A Bump feed, I Changed the trigger to one with a longer reset and it still seams to drop every once and a while, Just Racking to check reset it drops sometimes, it does not drop loading. Just when fireing. I thought the ammo Mag tech may not be pushing the slide back far enough, But it shoots My Colt Commander. The Spring on the Champ Is Pretty strong

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018