The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TFF Chaplain
18,859 Posts
Nice work. Looks like a good heavy duty tool.

Something to be proud of.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Nice job!
I find they are easier to shape if you heat them over coal, and hit them with a hammer.;)
Old springs are 5160 steel, and make excellent knives. They are prone to rust though. Treating them with plain old car wax helps quite a bit.
5160 does make a good blade but you have to be careful with old car springs, some times they have stress cracks and sometimes they don't.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
5160 does make a good blade but you have to be careful with old car springs, some times they have stress cracks and sometimes they don't.
Very true! As I forge my blades, mostly from coil springs, that is not much of an issue.
Under red heat you can spot a crack pretty quick. If not, it will show in the quench.

On edit: NEVER quench 5160 in water. If you do, you will find out how fast it can crack. (or explode)
That was one of my early lessons when I first started blacksmithing. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
That's how I started too. (a LONG time ago) But once you get the bug, you'll want to make more.
Here is one I made a few years ago. I think it started life as an F150 coil spring. But there have been so many projects over the years that I get them mixed up sometimes.
IMG00106-20101110-0550.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Thank you. Sorry about the poor resolution. I'm not a very good photographer. The blade is 5160 forged over coal with a distal taper. Full tang, and the guard was forged from a bit of rebar. The grips are cocobolo that I split, channeled for the tang, and epoxied back together after the guard and pommel were welded to the tang.
My thought on the unusual double curve of the blade was 1) increase cutting surface without increasing length, and 2) I was in a weird mood when I forged it. It does feel good in the hand, but it really isn't as practical as I would have liked it to be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts