The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In what little spare time I have lately I've been working on loading some .338 Lapua for my son's Savage 110BA. Got some once fired brass and ran into a problem. The brass is too big in diameter to fit my old Lee hand primer tool. The shell holder fits the tool fine. It's the opening in the tool itself that's too small. Wondering if anyone knows of another brand of tool that will accommodate the larger casings?
Don't want to go to a priming set up used on the press. My single stage won't work with it. If I have to buy another press I can, but hate to just for one cartridge. Since I have three of the Lee tools I'm going to try using a Dremel to enlarge the opening. Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
25,662 Posts
The only idea that I had you are already planning on trying.

Reactions: SilasW

·
Registered
793 Posts
Lee Ram Prime should work on any press, and not too expensive. I'd consider/research it before I modify a properly-working tool first.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
The RCBS tool should work. I do 450/400 NE with it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That looks a lot like my RCBS hand primer...
The main difference with the Frankford Arsenal hand primer is it is adjustable. The adjustment wheel allows you to fine tune the primer seating depth in .001" increments. I don't know why you would want that...but that's its claim to fame.

The decision maker for me - when I prime on the bench I get a few high primers here and there. When I prime with the FA tool I do not.

·
Super Moderator
38,434 Posts
I cast a second vote for the Lee Ram Prime. As sparky mentioned, it is inexpensive and easy to use. I have two of them, one set for large primers and the other for small.

·
The Ole Gun Crank
768 Posts
this is lee's old press primer tool. I like it. Its mickeymouse but lee is getting better, There is a learning curve, most important one is to keep the feed ramp full.
Most high primers can be avoided by cleaning the primer pockets.
20200918_102910.jpg

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I still use the old round Lee hand primer tools. One for large and one for small, and I have various others around that I found at garage sales and on Ebay for parts, should I ever need them. In many decades I have never broken anything on them.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If Lee made the shell holder they must have a tool that will prime the brass using that shell holder. But if it isn't too much metal that needs to be removed I would do that instead of buying a new hand primer.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I don't get it. The case is to big around for the tool? Only thing that should go into the tool is the rim and that's just a matter of having the right shell holder. If I don't get this, I don't, I have an RCBS tool the goes on my single stage press and works well. Slower than the Lee hand prime and it will also need the right shell holder.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I don't get it. The case is to big around for the tool? Only thing that should go into the tool is the rim and that's just a matter of having the right shell holder. If I don't get this, I don't, I have an RCBS tool the goes on my single stage press and works well. Slower than the Lee hand prime and it will also need the right shell holder.
I find it hard to believe that Lee doesn't make a shellholder for that Lapua round. Email them or call with your problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts