The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father has passed on to me a Luger from his Grandfather, and I'm curious about it. I'm not so much interested in the price as I am about the weapon itself. On the frame all serial numbers appear to be the same. I have not yet had the opportunity to check the inside Serial #'s and am looking for someone familiar with Luger's in the Charleston SC area before doing so. In doing some research here is what I believe I know about the weapon, If I'm incorrect please correct me.
It appears to be a 1920 Commercial DWM (Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken) Luger .30 Luger (7.65mm Para.) I have attached pictures.
Its my understanding that after The Treaty of Versailles, Germany could only produce the Luger in a 7.65. It also seems that thousands were produced and and are still fairly common. I am curious about the Germany stamp. As I read previous posts on TFF about Luger's, most members asked whether the Germany Stamp was visible and seemed to be a tell tell sign of something. Is it a sign of the Commercial model? What other information can someone please give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Briefly, after WWI, Germany was bankrupt and in desperate need of hard currency. One thing it had that was in worldwide demand was weaponry. Those Lugers were made for export, primarily to the United States. You are correct in that production of pistols in the military 9mm caliber was severely restricted, so the export guns were made in the original Luger caliber of 7.65x21, called the .30 Luger in the United States.

The "Germany" mark was applied, probably in the U.S., to conform to U. S. law requiring that imported products be marked with the country of origin (COO). It appears only on commercially imported guns, and not, for example, on veteran "bringbacks."

HTH.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts