The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend needs a handgun for self defense. She says she can't handle the .44 magnum I use so I was thinking something a little smaller like a .38 or .32. I want it to be powerful enough so one shot and thats it. A revolver would be best. It's gonna be her car gun so a medium frame would be great. I'd perfer $600-&800.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
My girlfriend needs a handgun for self defense. She says she can't handle the .44 magnum I use so I was thinking something a little smaller like a .38 or .32. I want it to be powerful enough so one shot and thats it. A revolver would be best. It's gonna be her car gun so a medium frame would be great. I'd perfer $600-&800.
Welcome to the forum! Take her to a range that rents guns, let her shoot as many as she can. Let her choose the gun she wants. There is no such thing as a hand gun powerful enough to make one shot stops simply because of the power. A hand gun is the smallest, and least powerful gun you can choose to defend yourself with. It's not about the power, it's about shot placement. If she is comfortabe with the gun, she will shoot it more. The more she shoots it the more confidence she will have in her ability with that gun. The more confident she becomes the more she will look to the larger calibers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
A S&W K frame in 38 Special or a Ruger of similar size would be just about ideal. You may also want to look at 357 magnums in the same size area since they will also handle the 38 Special. The magnum is built a little more sturdy so it can take hot 38 loads without any problems. If it is strictly a car gun the a stainless steel revolver may be the best. I would recommend some sort of car safe if she is going to leave the car unattended. No need to risk losing it because of a break in.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
A S&W K frame in 38 Special or a Ruger of similar size would be just about ideal. You may also want to look at 357 magnums in the same size area since they will also handle the 38 Special. The magnum is built a little more sturdy so it can take hot 38 loads without any problems. If it is strictly a car gun the a stainless steel revolver may be the best. I would recommend some sort of car safe if she is going to leave the car unattended. No need to risk losing it because of a break in.
Yes to the safe, if car carry is legal in OP's state and the gf is legal to own a firearm. And yes to Carver's suggestions.
OP, how familiar is she with handguns?

·
Registered
97 Posts
musicrox your right and welcome to the forum. not knowing how well your GF shoots ,how strong she is , the lenght of her trigger pull , or how level headed she is in total fight or flight. I would make sure she doesnt have to aim just point and pull the trigger. I just made a remark in another thread and that was consider a judge revolver . It shoots 410 shot shells or 45 long colt . but for car use and not have to aim takeing the blast of 410 in the face or chest is going to reck your whole week . good luck

bigdad5

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
If I can ask, without hijacking the thread too much, why does it seem common place to recommend a revolver for any females to carry?

·
Registered
97 Posts
NORACH not just women i recommend a revolver for everyone who wants to carry conceled. MY own personal carry gun is a charter 2.5 inch .44 bulldog in model 2000 and i am a certiified instructor. Why do i carry only 5 round revolver because when the crap hits the fan not only do we have little time to respond there is no time to work a safety , charge a tube, or clear a smoke stack. I do not rely on an auto loaders for quick responce that is why i choose for myself and recommend revolvers. But when i give advice i always try and taylor it to need and ease of operations.

bigdad5

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am all about the revolver and my recommendation would be similiar to others but if she decides that she wants a semi-auto, I had the opportunity to fire a co-workers M&P Shield 9 mm and I was impressed, very nice firearm.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
NORACH not just women i recommend a revolver for everyone who wants to carry conceled. MY own personal carry gun is a charter 2.5 inch .44 bulldog in model 2000 and i am a certiified instructor. Why do i carry only 5 round revolver because when the crap hits the fan not only do we have little time to respond there is no time to work a safety , charge a tube, or clear a smoke stack. I do not rely on an auto loaders for quick responce that is why i choose for myself and recommend revolvers. But when i give advice i always try and taylor it to need and ease of operations.

bigdad5
And there is no time to be fiddiling with trying to reload a five shot revolver. Don't misunderstand me here, like you, I love revolvers! I sometimes carry the Bulldog too! But a revolver is not always the best tool for the job! When I do carry the Bulldog, I have no intentions of reloading it, unless you consider the New York reload. When it's dry throw it down, and go to your back up! It's much quicker to draw another gun, than try to reload a revolver. Now as to time to work a safety, as an instructor, you know that moving the safety to the fire position is part of the draw. When I present my pistol to the target, it's hot! My main carry pistol is a 1911A1. It's 23 years old, and in that time I have had only one FTF, and that happend during a course where I was shooting dirty ammo. Wiped it out, and continued the course with no problems. I don't recomend a revolver for anyone, nor do I recomend a simi-auto for anyone, that's your choice! Once it's made then it is your responsibility to become knowledgable, and profecent, with the tool you have chosen!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I understand that some people have a preference for revolvers, and some for semi-autos. My question is why is a revolver always the first recommendation for female carry?

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
get her a 357 and shoot 38's in it. that's if she can handle the weight of the 357

if she can't handle the weight of a 357.. get an air line type 38. charter arms makes a decent priced one... VERY light

mind you that reduced weight means less resistance to recoil too.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I understand that some people have a preference for revolvers, and some for semi-autos. My question is why is a revolver always the first recommendation for female carry?
I think it has something to do with the weaker sex, or some such nonsense.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
I think it has something to do with the weaker sex, or some such nonsense.
my wife and my mom can't pull the slide back on a semi auto very well.

the large semi auto have too much recoil springs. the small semi auto don't have enough surface area to get a good grip on.

however both of them can work a 38 revolver just fine. especially trying it SA for testing or to get familiar with recoil before trying DA trigger pull.

that's my take anyway

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
The reason is, for many women who are unfamiliar with firearms, people believe that pointing and pulling the trigger is a better option than having to remember to rack a slide, take off a safety, keep your hand out of the way of the slide when it fires, clear a stovepipe, etc...I am not one who recommends a revolver, but those are some of the reasons. I carried a revolver 30 years ago. I have carried just about every kind of boom stick you can think of. I carry 1911s now and have carried them for many years. My wife carries autos too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The reason I want her to use a revolver is because it's simple point and pull the trigger. In a stressful situation I don't want her to pull it up and have forgotten to rack the slide or something.

Also I was looking at the judge but if she can't handle a .44 magnum I doubt she'll like shooting a .410 shotgun shell.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
The reason I want her to use a revolver is because it's simple point and pull the trigger. In a stressful situation I don't want her to pull it up and have forgotten to rack the slide or something.

Also I was looking at the judge but if she can't handle a .44 magnum I doubt she'll like shooting a .410 shotgun shell.
imho.. the 44mag is more than the 410.

I wouldn't want the 410 for my choice of self defense. I'd have a 45lc inthere. and for that.. the gun is HUGE

just my 2 cents.

my stepdad got my mom a judge to use for defense when he's out of town.

she simply can not use it.

she likes a 38 MUCH better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Remember guys what the gun is going to be used for . It is going to be her car defence firearm . meaning protecting people and property from inside the car. and that means it usually wont be carried for conceal.

bigdad5

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
and I still wouldn't use a judge...

it's a neat concept firearm.

I might use a judge as a survival type gun.. or a camp gun.

option of bird or limited buckshot.. or a slug.

i'd take a 45lc slug over the anemic 410 slug any day.

just not my choice of a defensive weapon. they are huge.

if I can handle huge.. i'll take a REAL 44, 45 or 357 with a longer than snub bbl.. like a colt python.

I shoot a anaconda 44mag and my mom has a judge. i like the anaconda MUCH better...

do you want a club or a gun. the judge is almost a club.

IMHO.. the best thing they did with a judge was put a long 18.5" bbl on it and a montecarlo stock and 3" cyl.. and made it a 'camp' carbine....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts