The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recoil from a handgun will raise the muzzle and the gun's aiming point. Does the muzzle rise after - or during - the projectile's discharge?If "during," the recoil would affect the aim, right?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i'm no expert, but when i saw a 110 lb woman fire a Ruger .44 at a target about 10' away, that gun nearly took her head off after she pulled the trigger......but she hit the target dead center. i always assumed that it was 'after' when it rises, as long as you aim right.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
During. The gun starts to recoil as soon as it goes off.

This, by the way, is why heavier bullets hit higher.

First, heavier bullets recoil more, so the muzzle is higher when the bullet exits.

Second, heavier bullets are slower, so they are in the barrel longer, allowing for even MORE muzzle rise before exiting.

If you have a fixed sight gun that shoots low, change to a heavier bullet load, and watch point of impact rise.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Alpo nailed it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Set your sights correctly if you consistently shoot high. Do not chase the bullseye which is to move your point of aim to compensate. Use a constant point of aim, i.e. the 6 o'clock position of bullseye target. If the bullet strikes high say three out of three shots, lower the rear rear sight if it is adjustable. Try to maintain the same sight picture. If the gun has fixed sights, aim a little lower. Grip should be about the same as a firm handshake. To firm of a grip has a tendency to pull the point of aim down and from one side or the other. Try using a two hand grip to start with. This is best for combat type shooting. However, some matches only allow a one hand grip, i.e. bullseye. And lastly, practice practice practice. A good coach watching you can help a lot also. It's a skill like golf you can easily develop bad habits that a good coach or caddy can see.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
ignats has it - know your gun. Practice with it. The more you practice the better you get because you know the gun. When I went out to our 'range' last time I had a coke can sitting near the bottom of the hill. From about 10 yards it took me 3 shots from my .45 to hit that can because I was out of practice (we had a REALLY cold winter). As soon as I did hit it I was able to walk it up the hill with no misses. Strangely enough, I am much better one handed than two handed with my .45 - I am also cross dominant so I use my left eye for aiming even though I am right handed. When firing my rifles my cross dominance changes my sight picture since I need to use my right eye for aiming. So, at 50-100 yards I aim about 4" to the right of my target and then I'm dead on. Over time and with practice the brain compensates for this. So, even though I'm aiming off target with my eye, my sight picture sees that as dead on target. This is probably one reason for why I prefer iron sights over scopes. I aquire my target much faster with iron sights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts