The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I keep a bottle of paper white out and some cheap red nail polish in my range bag just because like some have said days and targets can differ with our eyes . I am just starting to be at the age were it really effects me!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I use Truglo for EDC.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I need to do the MK1 Mike did over for me, black on black is terrible.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Even though I've never painted a front sight green, I would like to have a green fiber optic front sight. Having used them on some hunting bows, I've never seen one fade out under any conditions other than when it got so dark you could hardly make out the target anyway. That flo green has got to be the best all around choice.

I believe tests have shown that those red plastic inserts that were so popular years ago fade out with fading light. I never did like the white outline/red inserts anyway. I did see a flo green insert years ago and did like it. Oh how I hated to pass that model 15 on. I bought it from another enthusiast and it was the smoothest K frame I'd ever handled but I was buying it for a friend who wanted it for training as he was going into law enforcement back in the '80s.

I just go to the hobby store and buy the brightest flo orange I can find. If I have the time and ambition, I also will first lay a coat of white down first. I just noticed today that the LCP Custom needs to be refinished. It's been many years since I ran around with a can of that black spray for a front sight.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ken i thought that airborne guys painted their pistol (usually a glock) front sight focal plane picture surface with the same hi vis day glow vibrant sparkling ladies nail polish they paint their toes with - matching colors or holiday festive schemes...

Pink Beret

Who’s that man in the black beret
Army’s how he earns his pay
OH that’s just the life for me
Be all that you can be
Who’s that man in the red beret
Jumpins’ how he earns his pay
Airborne Infantry
Who’s that man in the tan beret
Fighting’s how he earns his pay
Ranger Infantry
Who’s that man in the green beret
Killing’s how he earns his pay
OH that just the life for me
Special Forces Infantry
Who’s that man in the pink beret
I don’t know but i thinks he’s gay
OH that’s NOT the life for me
HOMOSEXUALITY

🔫🔫🔫🌈🌈🌈🤣😂🙂​

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
When I was in Mike, not Everybody got to wear a Beret. (It's Like a "Participation Trophy" now.) It was for Elite Troops. (And) I stopped using colored nail polish long before I entered the Service.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Might try that on my non carry gun's. On them I do use the sight's. On carry gun's I simply don't use sights, I point and shoot. And with them shooting is never much more than 15'. Years ago the idea was promoted and I can't remember if I ever tried it I think if I did do it, I would do it with while model paint. White will show up better in the black frame of the rear sight I think.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
On some of my gun range guns I do use white out or a nail polish at times . For my CCW I got me and Mrs soonerfan a set of those Big Dot front sights . I admit my eyes are slipping , she won't . It's the point and shoot type sights , center mass .

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ken I was only poking fun at you and did not mean to display disrespect.

You know how I feel about your status as a cold war vet from an elite combat unit with military police training I hope...

My father agrees with your observations about the berets and won't display his decorations as they were not earned in combat overseas...

Please excuse me if I was out of line.

I do and have used bright nail polish to highlight sights especially if they were once radium painted or glow in the dark low light reflection treatments or dots.

Brownells used to sell a small glass vial and tiny applicator - of night sight material to refreshen or recover such subsurface dot areas on combat sights but it was expensive and had a short shelf life or window of effective functionality.

The radium dial painted watches and sights still work to this day but I understand the girls who applied this radioactive material got exposed to bad content via skin contact akin to mad hatters disease amongst those who smoothed out and fixed in place fur or felt on gentleman's hats with mercury applied with ones fingers...

Mike

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No harm, no foul Mike.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I remember reading a bit about "radium girls" who applied the radium to watches and gun sights and later got sick from it . And about our combat and non combat , peace time vets . . Granted the hell of combat I can only imagine and the stress of being a 18 year old kid away from home the 1st time on a deck of a air craft carrier during a so called peace time tour is also something I can't imagine cause of not being in the service of our country .My respect is earned the moment a person has signed up . My brother has finally talked about feeling unworthy cause he did his time during the Vietnam War on the USS Enterprise air craft carrier . Granted he was never shot at but being young and working around launching and landing jets is pretty dangerous . And losing friends who were air crew has stuck with him all this time . He recently found out a guy he knew who was shot down is alive and well , He broke down on finding out . The VA psychiatrist he reluctantly began seeing was able to find info out . Sorry for going on but sure we all agree THANK YOU EVERY SINGLE VET OUT THERE FOR YOUR TIME , PEACE OR WAR .

21 - 38 of 38 Posts