The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I ran across an old percussion rifle at an estate sale and picked it up, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for identification? I cannot find any markings other than and "X". I'm trying to upload photos but keep getting an error...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Hope you didn't invest much, as looks like the result of an unskilled person's do it yourself attempt.

The barrel and hardware resemble parts of a cheap European small caliber trade gun made for export.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not too worried about $35! So yes, I get the point that it's worthless... I would just like an idea of the time period?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Any identifying proof marks may have rusted away, but remove the barrel and check the hidden underside.

Guns such as these were made from mid-19th century to 20th century.

·
Premium Member
13,685 Posts
I believe percussion locks started coming into their own during the 1830s. I know the metal has seen better days, but any chance there's a maker's name on the inner surface of the lockplate? If so, and it's readable, it might go a ways in establishing age.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Those modern wood screws look nice too. It would indeed be a labor of love. It can be cleaned up. stock repaired and it would look very nice as a display piece. Shoot it? only if you have a very good medical plan, JMO:eek: Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
13,685 Posts
My WAG would be in the 1950's or 60's using old parts.
Agree with you on that. The stock seems to be someone's latter day take on a mid 19th Century style. Still, once cleaned a little, the stock spruced up and stained, with perhaps a light coat of varnish added, it'd probably make a pretty neat over the fireplace hanger. As to firing it; I wouldn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts