Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Broot, May 20, 2020.

1. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Yearly virus of some sort, poisoned pet food, lead in toothpaste and candy, ship loads of fentanyl, and now jack stands. The crappy crippling work boots were enough for a declaration of war!

ysacres, tedwitt, jbmid1 and 4 others like this.
  2. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, Broot.

Ditto:

tedwitt, Broot and Limbo Jimbo like this.

3. zant

zant Well-Known Member

I use ramps in most of my work-if I want the car flat,I jack and put ramps under rear too.

tedwitt, Broot and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  4. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

I can weld & trust my welding a lot more than cheap tools so I made my own jack stands. Harbor Freight tools have a place in my tool box but I wouldn't trust my life to them. I only buy tools from them that I intend to change to get a job done or only use one time.

tedwitt, Limbo Jimbo, grcsat and 2 others like this.
  5. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I have jack stands with the “U” shaped lever. I secure the lever with cinch straps, looping the strap through the base legs then over the lever. This secures the lever which if hit with a tool or anything will not unlock the lever.

All jack stands with a ratchet/lever lock have the potential to come unlocked if hit with something.

6. No1_49er

No1_49er New Member

I'm a little concerned about some peoples thought process.
    After reading through the comments posted in that article, and here, I can't believe the number of people who say they always leave the jack under the load, or don't use stands and rely only on the jack.
    Surely, nobody will try to convince me that a jack has never failed, whether it be a hydraulic or screw type?
    Any time that I need to work under a vehicle, it either goes up on heavy duty steel ramps, or it stays on the ground and I get down into the in-ground (floor) pit.

ysacres, tedwitt, Limbo Jimbo and 2 others like this.
  7. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

I have had an otherwise reliable hydraulic floorjack blow a seal and fail. I NEVER went under a car without secure jackstands. Cheap insurance. My stands had the safety pins.

8. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I learned the hard way never to trust a jack, lucky for me it only involved a cracked rib, could have been much worse. My jack stands have a pin that runs through the stand, with weight on the stand you'd have to be a gorilla to pull the pin out.

tedwitt, Limbo Jimbo, joe45c and 2 others like this.
  9. Broot

Broot Well-Known Mumbler Supporting Member

I usually drive mine up on blocks of wood (with chocks, transmission in gear (manual), and parking brake set) or just weasel my way under with all four tires on the ground. Unless I’m doing brake work etc.

In the odd case I can’t fit under to do what I need to, I’ll have multiple stands, the floor jack and usually stack oak 2x3s up as cribbing under the frame.

10. rlb

rlb Well-Known Member

I never go under a car with only a jack I use jack stands and leave the jack in place for insurance and the Harbor Freight jacks stands that I have are the twenty ton.

11. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

whether it is held up by jack stands or just the jack, depends on how long it's going to be off the ground. Doing an oil change, just the jack. Pulling the trans and replacing the clutch, it would be on stands.

tedwitt and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  12. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

My Harbor Freight stands are older than the ones being recalled. I did check them thoroughly to see if I could get the pawl to release and none of them would. Inspected them and most I could find was some paint chipping, but then these have been in use for probably at least a decade.

13. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I do have two of those type stands, but they're from Sears or Auto-Zone.

tedwitt, Limbo Jimbo and joe45c like this.
  14. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I learned the value of jack stands back 1983 while trying to change a flat tire on my 1972 Pontiac, Catalina using the old style bumper jack. It was high winds that day and just as I was setting the spare tire on their wheel studs, the wind gusted and the car started to tip sideways towards me. I immediately jumped up and pushed against the car so as to not let it fall over sideways. I was able to hold it from falling over, but that was all. Try as I mite, I could not reach a lug nut to try screw on at least one stud. I held that over five thousand pound car for least ten or so minutes, when a high school near by let out and I was able to call over a couple of boys to help hold up the car so I could get all five lug nuts on the wheel.

Now a days, in my vehicle, I always have a jack stands, and blocks of wood for wheel chalks and lift points.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  15. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I will never, ever consider sticking any part of me under a vehicle on just a hydraulic jack. You do know what's holding the car up in one of those?