Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Broot, May 20, 2020.

1. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

A rubber O-ring.
    If I have nothing else with me while changing a flat on the road I'll slide the spare tire under the frame while unbolting the flat tire and slide the flat tire under the frame while putting the spare back on. I break the lugs loose with the weight on the tire and finish removing the lugs and tire after jacking it up and putting the spare under the frame. This leaves the car without a safety net of a tire rim for only a moment while I slide the spare out and slide the flat back in it's place.

I can do this without placing my hands in a place of danger, once the spare is in place and the lugs finger tight I slide out the flat tire, lower the car and finish tightening the lugs.

2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Well, in this case, probably neoprene or something. I'd wager jack oil is petroleum based. ;)

Same. I will work on a car on just a jack, but I will not stick myself under. Also, always have an escape route pre-planned.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
    tedwitt, chuckster, Broot and 3 others like this.

3. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know about that Howln. I always use both the jack and Jack stand, but as far as my pickup the previous owner put a 1" lift kit in, so i can slide all around under it. Just can't do anything to it cause there isn't enough room. But my Acadia i need to crank that baby up and use the Jack and stand. Sits low and it would squish the heck out of me if it fell on me.

tedwitt and howlnmad like this.
  4. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Neoprene or nitrile. :) I believe jacks use a light hydraulic oil and it's most likely dinosaur based.

tedwitt and CCHolderinMaine like this.
  5. No1_49er

No1_49er New Member

This is exactly the logic (?) I alluded to in my post, #21 above!
    Just which part of doing an oil change eliminates the likelihood of a jack, of any type, from failure whilst performing that task?

tedwitt likes this.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Y'all can flame me all you want. The vehicle that I was reffering to, I can reach the filter and drain plug without getting under the car.
    And yes, I know the dangers. At the age of 16 I had one fall off a jack while I was under it. It sucked, I was fortunate that my dad was close by, still refuse to live by nanny rules.
    I don't belittle anyone that choose different. That's just who I am.

joe45c and tedwitt like this.
  7. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

When I was young I was bullet proof. As I got older I realized that luck played no small part in my still being here. Seems I wasn't bullet proof so much as lucky enough to only been winged a few times. It dawned on me if I continued the way I was my luck would run out. I've made my living in a hazardous occupation, more than a couple of my friends left the planet early. Usually it's two, three of sometimes more "minor" things that when they line up its like a sprung trap. Almost always complacency is among the factors at some level.
    Of course it can be taken to extreme levels that pretty much hobble everything. There is a balance that we all have to decide for ourselves.
    I've never meet you in person but it would grieve me if you left early especially if it was easily avoided:D

howlnmad and tedwitt like this.
  8. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Heck, I put a jack stand under my mower deck when I change the blades, I lift it with a 110 volt winch attached to a doubled ceiling joist in my garage.

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

It has probably been 8 to 10 ears since I have changed my own oil in a car or truck. When I did used to change it I had, and still have, the little ramps that you drive up on to lift it off the ground. Even though I have jack stands I never had to use them when using the ramps.

Limbo Jimbo and tedwitt like this.
  10. joe45c

I used to use ramps back a long time ago. Thru them away cause i kept driving over the top of them!:mad:

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I did that once, after that I always used a spotter to tell me when to stop. I still use them when I need to remove my mower blades to sharpen them, with the size of the mower, I can see the front wheels when I drive up on them.

12. joe45c

We did too, but still ended up driving over them on occasion. More than once i dove my 70 Z/28 over them putting dents in the rocker panels. My buddies 70 Boss 302 mustang also had the same dents. Just too much horse power in those cars to stop quick enough i guess.:mad:

13. Tom T

Tom T Well-Known Member

They will launch like a rocket

14. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Back then we smoked that stuff that slowed our reflexes.

Limbo Jimbo and joe45c like this.
  15. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Most of the time if we use ramps, we jack the car up and stick the ramps under the wheels, like jack stands.