The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I have recently acquired a Harrington Richardson 12 gauge single shot with the serial number A35xxxxx with the date Feb 27 1900. Is this firearm safe to be used with modern ammunition? Thanks! Also there is a slight lateral wobble in the barrel. Is this easily repairable? I found that by shimming the hinge pin with a single piece of printer paper that all wobble is gone.
Office supplies Writing implement Wood Pen Office equipment

Grey Wood Bumper Material property Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the first thing to find out is dose your shotgun, take 2 1/2 shot shells or 2 3/4.
Lateral movement of the barrel is not a good thing and it appears that someone was pounding on the hinge pin.
The hinge pin should be removed and have a new one installed.
Thank you for the feedback, the gun chambers 2 3/4” shells without difficulty. Assuming it can be repaired, I have heard that some of these old guns are not safe with modern ammunition. Do you know anything about that?

·
Premium Member
13,195 Posts
Just because a 23/4” shell fits doesn’t mean your gun is chambered for it. Back when your gun was made, shotgun shells used a roll crimp and not a star crimp as is the case with modern ammunition. Wouldn’t cost much to find out and when you have the hinge pin replaced the gunsmith can measure the chamber length.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The odds of finding a replacement hinge pin are not very good.
However, a good gunsmith will have a hinge pin reamer and blank hinge pins. While he is putting in a new pin, he can also a just the headspace if needed.

·
Super Moderator
9,331 Posts
Just because a 23/4” shell fits doesn’t mean your gun is chambered for it. Back when your gun was made, shotgun shells used a roll crimp and not a star crimp as is the case with modern ammunition. Wouldn’t cost much to find out and when you have the hinge pin replaced the gunsmith can measure the chamber length.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts