The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this revolver yesterday at a Gun Show ($125) and tried researching it when I got home, because the man I purchased it from told me I could only use S&W 38 cartridges in it (after I paid him). I can't seem to find THIS revolver anywhere. The serial number is 293xxx and I would like to know it's age, is it Black Powder cartridges only, and if so, can I purchase them anywhere...and did I get taken? I love how it feels in my hand, it's lightweight and I would really like to shoot it. My husband cleaned it and everything seems to work properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing a bit more research on this revolver this morning, it looks to me that I am going to have a very hard time finding cartridges for this gun. I was hoping to finally have one of my own for protection, but this is not looking so good. Can you tell me if there are any other cartridges on the market that can be fired through this gun?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Those revolvers are very common. You'll need to post pics of or describe ALL markings on the gun. Including the serial number which is likely under the grips. If in working condition, the price you paid is about right.
.38S&W ammo is long obsolete. But not impossible to find. WAl Mart not likely to carry it. But well stocked gun shops should have some. And you can usually find it at gunshows. These days it may be easier to find than .22LR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I posted 3 pictures of the revolver and the serial number is located on the butt of the gun as well as underneath the barrel, (above the cartridge chamber). On the inside, around the cylinder, the last three digits of the serial # are stamped into it twice. #293183 is the number. There is no letter before the number. In one of the pictures I posted, it shows the name, Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worcester, Mass. U.S.A, on top of barrel. On the left side of the barrel, it reads, AUTO EJECTING 38 S&W CTGE. It holds 5 cartridges. I looked all over the Gun Show and no luck finding the 38 S&W cartridges. I will check out local gun shops, but I've noticed all the shelves are pretty empty when looking for any bullets. :( Thank you for responding. As you can tell, I don't have much knowledge about guns. My husband is, but he has no clue about this one.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Jbeamer3577,
Apparently you have an automatic ejecting, third model manufactured 1916-1924. It is chambered for modern smokeless powder rounds. These rounds are fairly readily available.
Old Gun Guy

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
These are commonly referred to as "Pocket pistols". The history of them is that during the later part of the 1800's, and the start of the 1900's, open carry of firearms became more and more forbidden. So people (Mostly men) took to carrying smaller "Pocket pistols" that would easily fit in a coat or vest pocket.
P.S. As you've noted that .38S&W is somewhat hard to find, expect it to be somewhat more EXPENSIVE than most ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you both very much. I'm glad to know the year of this gun and I really do like it, so I am now on a quest to find ammo for it. I'm really looking forward to shooting it. Hopefully very soon.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't expect much as far as accuracy. It is intended as an up close & personal self defense weapon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to find the 38 S&W ammo online for $24.99 and I ordered one box of rounds. I would like to shoot it at least once, but I'm not sure I will keep this revolver. I am looking for something for protection that is not bulky and hard for me to handle. Because of it's age, I would not want anything to go wrong if I needed it. I think I have talked myself out of keeping it. I need something more dependable. It really is a pretty revolver. (From a girl's point) :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Jbeamer3577, sincerely and without meaning to be rude, I hope you never have to use it. Not just because I wouldn't wish that kind of situation on anyone, but also because the round-nose lead ammunition that is all that is available for 38 S&W is nobodies' first OR second choice for self-defense anymore. That's IMHO, of course, and once again, I don't mean to offend. A half a loaf is better than none.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It really is a nice looking H&R.

I've been looking for a clean .38 S&W. It may not be what you are looking for, but it's real nice on it's own terms. When you get your box of ammunition, you should find that the recoil is very nice and manageable. The gun was originally designed for lower pressure/lower velocity black powder rounds and when bullet manufactures switched to smokeless powder, they kept the same basic parameters. As others have said, it was intended to be a personal protection weapon, and is still effective at close range. The .38 Colt and the .38 S&W were eventually superceeded by the .38 Special and the .45 ACP because the .38 Colt did not have enough power to penetrate home made armor during the Philippine war. But a .38 hole is still a .38 hole, unless I'm attacked by a Moro tribesman.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You are quite right, HVance, in that a 38 hole is a 38 hole. But modern pistol bullets are designed to expand on impact, thus making a hole that is more than 38.

BTW, 38 S&W was very highly though of as a target load, and the bullet weight and volocity of the 38 Special wadcutter load is designed to duplicate it. I may be wrong, but I think even the completely cylindrical shape of the wadcutter bullet is considered to have better stopping power than the round-nose shape of factory 38 S&W ammo.

This a complicated topic, and there is a whole subforum here pretty much dedicated to it. There are plenty of people who know a lot more about it than I do, but in general terms, I think I have go it right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the input gentlemen, and I'm truly not offended. I didn't buy this to protect myself from a fleeing man 100 yards away. I live out in the country next to a river and I enjoy spending a lot of time fishing. I have been lucky so far as to not run into any Mountain Lions, which are pretty thick through there. This is why I felt the need to have something for protection. I'm sure a .38 will either make him/her run away or at least take him/her down long enough for another round. Like I said in my earlier posts, I don't have much knowledge of guns, and that is why I joined this forum. My husband is an avid hunter and we have a houseful of weapons, but for myself personally, I never had any interest in them. I figured if I was going to be a gun owner, I better start taking some classes and learn as much as I can about them, before using them. I have made up my mind to sell this Harrington & Richardson, and look for something more modern. It is a beautiful revolver and I'm still looking forward to firing it. Thank you both for commenting and giving your opinions.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good Morning JBeamer and Lanrezac:
Lanrezac is completely correct about the .38 S&W Special. It was specifically designed to be effective in more applications than the .38S S&W Long. And, the higher velocity allows modern hollow-points to work effectively. That's why the .38spl has been so successful and was the policeman's choice for decades. That said, .38 S&W Long performs it's limited job well, is accurate, and comfortable. I just wish it was cheaper and easier to get. On a side note, many of the old H&R and I.J. revolvers were originally designed for messy blackpowder and still have a relatively wide gap between the cylinder and the face of the barrel. As a result, firing in low light puts on quite a frightening show! Good luck with your next purchase. If you do sell the H&R, would you let us know if it will go up for auction?
Thanks, Vance

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good afternoon Vance. I would love to put this up for auction, but I'm new to this and I read where you have to have at least 50 posts to sell on here and I have no idea which auction site allows you to sell weapons. I know Ebay does not. The cartridges I bought online say's it's 38 S&W short and because of high demand of all ammo, it will take up to 26 days to ship. So it looks like it will be awhile before I get to see any light show from this gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh wow, I really like that one. Thank you so much for finding this and sharing it. Looking at the dimensions of this revolver, it will fit nicely into my tackle bag too. I've noticed finding the .22 ammo locally is pretty hard to do now. Seems like all the shelves have been empty for awhile, but thanks to my husband, we have a cache of them at home. :D I've never heard of Heritage, do you know much about them? Are they pretty dependable? Again, thank you so much for sending me this link. I will go look at it again and do a little research. I'm in Oregon, do these places ship weapons or do I need to find a dealer to have it shipped too? I looked into shipping my son his guns to Alaska once and he needed to find a dealer that was willing to receive them for him over there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hopefully I can shed a bit more light on your pistol. First it is not a blackpowder only pistol. Stoeger Catalog 1939 still lists them as for sale brand spanking new for 14.75. Secondly while the 38 S&W is no barn burner, ballistic tests in the early 1950's showed that the 38 S&W only gave up 25 FPS (700 Vs 725) in a 3 1/4 inch barrel. But on a more serious note. These old time pistols are a real hoot to shoot. I've owned several and have an H&R in 22 inbound to my local dealer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input SARGE. So if it's not black only, what other cartridge can be used in my pistol? I've read that if I use anything other then the 38 S&W rounds in it, it could cause problems. I really am excited to shoot it, but have a long wait for ammo. :(

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Jbeamer, what SARGE7402 said means you can use ALL modern 38 S&W ammunition in your gun. Black Powder ammunition is not readily available any more, so the fact that your gun does NOT need to use it is a big advantage. :)

You are right in that 38 S&W is the only cartridge that will work in your gun. Any exceptions are too rare or too dangerous to mention.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts