The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,135 Posts
Jbeamer3577, sincerely and without meaning to be rude, I hope you never have to use it. Not just because I wouldn't wish that kind of situation on anyone, but also because the round-nose lead ammunition that is all that is available for 38 S&W is nobodies' first OR second choice for self-defense anymore. That's IMHO, of course, and once again, I don't mean to offend. A half a loaf is better than none.

· Registered
1,135 Posts
You are quite right, HVance, in that a 38 hole is a 38 hole. But modern pistol bullets are designed to expand on impact, thus making a hole that is more than 38.

BTW, 38 S&W was very highly though of as a target load, and the bullet weight and volocity of the 38 Special wadcutter load is designed to duplicate it. I may be wrong, but I think even the completely cylindrical shape of the wadcutter bullet is considered to have better stopping power than the round-nose shape of factory 38 S&W ammo.

This a complicated topic, and there is a whole subforum here pretty much dedicated to it. There are plenty of people who know a lot more about it than I do, but in general terms, I think I have go it right.

· Registered
1,135 Posts
Jbeamer, what SARGE7402 said means you can use ALL modern 38 S&W ammunition in your gun. Black Powder ammunition is not readily available any more, so the fact that your gun does NOT need to use it is a big advantage. :)

You are right in that 38 S&W is the only cartridge that will work in your gun. Any exceptions are too rare or too dangerous to mention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.