Harrington & Richardson Police Automatic Revolver .38 S&W, #344042

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by GregT, Sep 11, 2020.

1. GregT

GregT New Member

I found this handgun yesterday. It is absolutely brand new, not fired, other than remains of possible proof firing. These were made from 1900-1940. I believe the serial number is high enough to take it out of the black powder frame era, but I would like a year of manufacture, if that is possible. I intend to fire it with respectful loads. Thanks for any help!
    GregT

2. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

I would contact S&W with the serial number and they should be able to tell you what year it was made.

Being made after 1900, it should be out of the black powder era but I’m just starting to bone up on some of that history myself.

3. GregT

GregT New Member

Thanks WillieB. My mention of the caliber of the revolver probably confused you into thinking it was a Smith and Wesson. The caliber is .38 Smith and Wesson... The make of the handgun is Harrington and Richardson. It "survived" its first firing yesterday with a 120 lead round nose bullet, .357" in diameter, Starline casing, Fiocchi small pistol primer and 2.2 grains of DuPont #6 (Yes, #six) powder. I have 4 un-opened cans of #6 powder and it is in perfect condition! I also have the Belding and Mull reloading manual showing this powder and load with a 140 grain bullet (I used a 120 grain bullet) at about 700 FPS. A snappy little load! The back of the trigger guard nails my middle finger that is wrapped high on the grip and caused me to flinch twice, ruining a beautiful 3 shot, inch and a quarter group, fired at 25 feet from a rest... It is a neat little revolver with a 4" barrel, 5 shot cylinder. For what it's worth, DuPont #6 Powder is in the close neighborhood of our current Bullseye powder. This load would have called for about a half grain more of Bullseye if I would have chosen to use that. Little higher FPS. Somewhere I have a mould for a 148 grain hollow base wadcutter. The hollow base will adapt to any oddity in the dimensions of the rifling. Thanks for the note!

BlackEagle, WillieB and Kweeksdraw like this.
  4. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

Greg, if your H&R is a top break and has 38S&W stamped on the left side of the barrel, it is said by the experts to be safe for smokeless.

WillieB likes this.
  5. GregT

GregT New Member

Thanks Kweeksdraw,
    It is so marked!
    Thanks,
    GregT

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    Kweeksdraw and BlackEagle like this.
  6. jar

jar Member

For those who might not be familiar with 38S&W, the 38S&W is fourth from the left and 38S&W Special is fifth.

[​IMG]

Kweeksdraw likes this.