Harrington & richardson self loading 32

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by drew2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. drew2

drew2 New Member

Hi All,
    Would anyone be able to show me an image/diagram of the firing pin spring from one of these old H&R self-loading 32 pistols. I'm trying to find out the approximate dimensions as I need to try and get hold of one.
    Thanks,
    drew

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is something i can't help with. this H&R model is not listed in the numrich gun parts catalog, but you might try their web site and see if they have any information www.e-gunparts.com
    bill

3. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Why don't you just buy one from Numrich - apparently they are still "in stock"

HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON
    SELF LOAD PISTOL
    Item No. 293200
    Firing Pin Spring, .32 Cal.
    Retail Price: $4.15
    give you a tip:

When you are ready, and before ordering on line, go ahead and call their

TOLL-FREE ORDER LINE: 866-NUMRICH (866-686-7424)

... and somewhere into the call you'll get a recording giving you a "Coupon Code" number.

By ordering on line (only) and using this number, you'll get free shipping on small orders such as this one...

... and save yourself the $4.50 or so shipping. :)

Guess they figure that it's worth it since you are not "tying up" one of their reps.

They give these numbers out only during their normal hours (on weekdays 8:00 A to, I believe 4 PM Eastern time.

4. drew2

drew2 New Member

Thank you both very much for your help. I will look at Numrich - I hope they will post to Australia!
    All the best,
    drew

5. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Well drew... hadn't noticed you were in Australia!

Don't think they'll do the "free shipping" to Australia - but they might ship there... guess it would depend on things like regulations on "gun parts", etc.

If I were you I'd go on their web site and email them with the query.

6. drew2

drew2 New Member

Yep, they will ship to Australia, but it will cost more in shipping (not sure yet how much the rate is for a F.P. spring though) plus there is a $25 surcharge because it is international. A $4 part can become expensive for us foreign buyers! I suppose they know we have no other alternatives, certainly no option in OZ.
    Thanks for your help with the part number.
    drew

7. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Well Drew for US $30 (+ ?) I think I would try to experiment a bit with coming up with a spring of my own.

I have never even held one of these firearms in my hand so I can't really tell you anything about what the spring might look like.

My guess would be that what is required is just a light coil spring of some sort.

Might want to start by seeing if a spring from a retractable ball point pen would work - "cut down to fit" of course.

One of these pen springs worked OK for me on an H&R "Hammerless" revolver I took apart - had to wrap the coil a bit "tighter" to decrease the diameter and the cut it very short 's all.

Also, you might want to see if a local hardware store has some small coil springs... and of course, there are places that specialize in selling springs, pins and fasteners and such.

Man before shelling out $30 for such a small simple part I sure would!

Enjoy!

By the way say "Hello" to the Tin Man for me...

8. drew2

drew2 New Member

Hi marcodelat,
    Thanks for that. I would be a bit worried about using a ball point spring on an auto, because of the pressure put back through the spring. Most bolt guns and revolvers would have guide for the FP spring too, so they would probably be reliable with use of a ball point spring. I did hear that piano wire was the way to go?? Not sure how to go about it though.
    The little springs I've already try to make just buckle in the middle because there is no guide - I'm not even sure if there is meant to be a guide/support in there?? I would love it if someone could send me a pic of the internals of their H&R self-loading 32.
    On an other forum, I asked the same question about supply of this FP spring, someone suggested Tom Heller (Heller arms), so i emailed him and he has a repro. available too.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

drew2,
    yes there is a guide rod. i am having trouble up loading pictures right now but if you sen me an e-mail goforth2@peoplepc.com i will try to send you a copy of the parts list from a 1923 H&R parts catalog.
    bill

10. drew2

drew2 New Member

Hi Bill, thank you, I'll send you an email.
    regards,
    drew