The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello gentleman,
I am trying to find out as much information about this handgun as possible, it belonged to my great grandfather and came into my possession after my mothers passing. I have always liked this little gun, but am curious about it. I have searched the internet and can only find minimal information. I have attached some pictures of it and you can clearly see all the information that I have, I would be interested in date of manufacture, rarity, collectability, and approximate value. I understand that from the photos you can not truly tell the condition of the gun and would welcome any advice.
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Revolver
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory Cylinder Auto part Metal
Carabiner

·
Deer Stalker
6,495 Posts
According to my books it was made between 1912-1920. The First Variation was numbered 01 to 16,500. In 100% condition the book price is $565. I personally think its' closer to 95 to 98% condition, which ranges in prices from $415-$485. These are not fast sellers.
Here is it's "Big Sister" in .32 ACP--> http://www.*********.com/item/569240725

And a market value H&R not as nice as yours--> http://www.*********.com/item/568689027

Very nice pistol you have.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I second Big Mak's assessment above.

The smaller 25ACP is valued more than the 32ACP version. ...rarer production.

Don't ever lose the magazine for it. ...they are virtually unobtanium now.

Reactions: Duce

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to my books it was made between 1912-1920. The First Variation was numbered 01 to 16,500. In 100% condition the book price is $565. I personally think its' closer to 95 to 98% condition, which ranges in prices from $415-$485. These are not fast sellers.
Here is it's "Big Sister" in .32 ACP--> http://www.*********.com/item/569240725

And a market value H&R not as nice as yours--> http://www.*********.com/item/568689027

Very nice pistol you have.
Thank you very much, I will never get rid of it because of the family ties, but was just curious. thank you again for your help.

·
Deer Stalker
6,495 Posts
I love to hear it when folks want to keep firearms in the family. They are (IMO) an emotional connection to our relatives after they've passed.

My Dad's .45-75 Winchester (He's still alive by the way) was bought for $10 in 1940 when he was 10 years old, from my great great Uncle. It will be passed down throughout the generations of our family.

·
Banned
804 Posts
1. its a British Pattern Webely licensed copy.
2. Triple K will have the magazine
3. Triple K sells their catalog in a hardbound reference version (a must have)
4. very nice gun - good design
5. i recommend round nose full metal jacket only for reliable function

nice gun - i do not have one - i am envious

mike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3. Triple K sells their catalog in a hardbound reference version (a must have)

nice gun - i do not have one - i am envious

mike.
Thank you Mike, I will look up Triple K!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thank you Mike, I will look up Triple K!
Something I just learned... I knew Triple K was making them for the .32ACP version(I bought one of those mags), but they weren't making them 2 Christmas' ago. So their 25acp version is rather new to production.

One thing to note: Triple K mags can be hit/miss on function and even fit(into gun).

My .32ACP Triple K mag works and fits great. But if you read the reviews for other Triple K mags you will see opinions swing both ways. However, there are NO other companies making such replacement mags. So if you get one that doesn't work or fit, you may have to return it or "fix" it for your specific gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something I just learned... I knew Triple K was making them for the .32ACP version(I bought one of those mags), but they weren't making them 2 Christmas' ago. So their 25acp version is rather new to production.

One thing to note: Triple K mags can be hit/miss on function and even fit(into gun).

My .32ACP Triple K mag works and fits great. But if you read the reviews for other Triple K mags you will see opinions swing both ways. However, there are NO other companies making such replacement mags. So if you get one that doesn't work or fit, you may have to return it or "fix" it for your specific gun.
I did see those reviews but decided to try anyway, the mag is worn and even has a small crack in it, so I'm hoping this one fits so I can use it when I fire the gun and keep the original in a safe place. Thanks again for your help and advice!

·
Deer Stalker
6,495 Posts

These are just my observations from reseach:
Good extractor, new Triple K mag, everything works.
Average worn extractor, new Triple K mag, 50/50 works or not.
Bad extractor, new triple K mag, nothing works.

Speaking from experience, every single FTE or FTL issue I've had with any magazine has been resolved with new mag springs from Wolff. But then again, I've never had a pistol so worn out that the extractor was the issue. It's always been the mag spring.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Correct, but it is NOT an exact copy of the Webley design. It is striker fired rather than hammer fired. But looking at the Webley version, it is obvious they are related.
MRMIKE08075 said:
As mentioned, Triple K is sort of 'hit and miss' but they are about the only game in town.
MRMIKE08075 said:
The designs - I collect the .32 versions - are very functional.
MRMIKE08075 said:
I concur. However, in today's market and considerations, a .25 ACP is not really a serious defense sidearm. It is better than a pointy stick, but still not quite up to mediocre.

The Old Man

·
Deer Stalker
6,495 Posts
It's a good hiking pistol in the Pacfic Northwest. If you come upon an angry grizzly, shoot your hiking buddy in the knee and run like hell ! :)
My wife and I own 2 .25 ACPs and very much a curio. I think they're neat.

Definitely a last resort weapon though I've yet to get an ankle holster for mine. Wife plans to carry hers in her purse, right after the pistol class she's signed up for. I suspect she'll want something bigger after that class. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a good hiking pistol in the Pacfic Northwest. If you come upon an angry grizzly, shoot your hiking buddy in the knee and run like hell ! :)
My wife and I own 2 .25 ACPs and very much a curio. I think they're neat.

Definitely a last resort weapon though I've yet to get an ankle holster for mine. Wife plans to carry hers in her purse, right after the pistol class she's signed up for. I suspect she'll want something bigger after that class. :)
Hilarious Big Mak, like the saying goes do not have to out run the bear just someone else!, not planning on using this for a conceal carry weapon, have a .40 cal S&W shield for that or if I feel like lugging it around my Sig P226 9mm. But as a last resort in close proximity the .25 could cause some pretty serious damage fired directly into the chest!

·
Deer Stalker
6,495 Posts
This is our pair.

Her Bauer .25 ACP is a direct knock off of the Browning. Bauer made these from 1972--1984. The sights are it are a HELLUVA lot better than my Colt 1908 "Model N" .25 ACP (also pictured). The Bauer was unfired when I bought it earlier this year and the 1919-made Colt (also a new purchase recently) has held up well, for a pistol 97 years old!

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is our pair.

Her Bauer .25 ACP is a direct knock off of the Browning. Bauer made these from 1972--1984. The sights are it are a HELLUVA lot better than my Colt 1908 "Model N" .25 ACP (also pictured). The Bauer was unfired when I bought it earlier this year and the 1919-made Colt (also a new purchase recently) has held up well, for a pistol 97 years old!

Nice set of pocket pistols!

Bauer made some really nice pieces.

Reactions: Big Mak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I received the new magazine from triple K and it did indeed jam up, but I took it home and did some modification to it and it now works perfectly. I examined it under a microscope and found small burs at the extraction point and also the black coating on it made it very difficult to insert and remove. I used some rubber wheels and points to smooth and polish the affected areas and it now is working perfectly. (I own a dental lab and work from home so I have these instruments at my disposal, a nice perk). I put about 25 rounds through it without a single misfire!
Thank you again guys for your help and suggestions!

Hey, well I'm at it, after shooting the other day I decided I do not really like my S&W M&P shield 40, it is just not any fun to shoot, I am looking for another conceal carry gun and I am considering the Sig Sauer P938 9mm, I imagine it will not kick as much plus I own a P226 9mm and love that gun. Also there is the benefit of only having to buy one caliber of ammo, any comments or suggestions are more than welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts