The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are they? We just don't know.

Really, though, I just purchased one online, it is on the way to my FFL, and in the meantime, I could find out- pretty much nothing on the gun. What did I just buy, anyways? All I know for sure is that it was made in the 90s, is a semi-auto .50 cal, and I really wanted it.

I don't have pics yet, other than one from the seller, so I can't very well post in the technical questions section yet, and- I expect vague answers, anyways. When I actually get my hands on it next week, I will post whatever details I can gain from looking at the gun, so we can all learn about... whatever it is. :) Attached is an image that was on the seller's website, the page containing which has been taken down since I purchased it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,730 Posts
SWEET! That barrel looks small in diameter in the photo in proportion to other parts.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
What did I just buy, anyways?
First off welcome to the forum. Now you have me wondering, just how often do you purchase big ticket items, I assume it wasn’t cheap, not knowing what they are? :confused:

Just struck me as kind of funny.

Enjoy your purchase

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an update!

Harris of Harris Barrel Works (what became of Harris Gunworks), has sent me an E-mail saying they actually intend to resurrect the M-96 next year, but also had to come up with other, cheaper models. Almost all of the M-96 is milled, which made it $6,000 in 1996 monies ($9,000+ in today monies), and there was no comment on what the new MSRP would be. He also said they have some old manuals around somewhere, so I will be updating the post with new info when/if I get them. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off welcome to the forum. Now you have me wondering, just how often do you purchase big ticket items not knowing what they are? :confused:

Just struck me as kind of funny.

Enjoy your purchase
Thank you, and everyone, for the welcome. :3

This is my first ever big ticket item, as work on the drill rigs was good this summer. What I could find in research is that it was a very rare firearm (until they start making them again x.x), with a gas operating system of some kind (some say AK-like, but the piston is not fixed to the bolt, so- ?) I went through every single google result for "Harris M-96," I just couldn't find much more on the guns. I think they went through US trials (there is an odd image of an old version of one with an m60 bipod in testing), they may have been used in the gulf war, and Malaysia's forces used them for a while.

...on another odd note, apparently this one was previously owned by James Earl Jones, and is being sent with a signed certificate of such? I'm not surprised, though. That guy reportedly has a warehouse of extra storage for all the guns he bought @[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

It is finally here!!! :D -and I have an update about how this thing works, as the information online was- well, wrong.

It is not an "AK-type" action. It has a tilting bolt locking system similar to the PTRS in function, with no apparent locking lugs at the front of the bolt. The bolt does not rotate at all. It has a rock-in style, single stack, almost 2 pound magazine, and dry cycles like a dream. The safety is push button and, for some reason, is well behind the hand used for trigger control.

I've not taken it apart, but will share more when I do! :D

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts