The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a line on a Hartford .22 Semi auto pistol. Plain jane model. Not target. Appears in VG condition. Understand these are Colt Woodsman clones. Is quality comparable?
Jump or pass @ $325.?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Understand these are Colt Woodsman clones
Some might say they are actually High-Standard Model B clones. But in truth the High-Standards are Hartford M1925 clones. (HS bought Hartford and continued making them with the HS name.)
Depending on condition, $325 is about in the upper middle of the ballpark.

Here are 5 22's. Four are Hartfords (3 M1925 and 1 Single Shot) and one is a HS Model B.....

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Well, don't know. The only Hartford pistols that I know of were made by the Hartford Arms and Equipment Co. , which failed back in 1932. They made both a manually operated ( Google Fiala Pistols ) And a true semi automatic. High Standard purchased all the assets which they used to start the High Standard line of autos. So, the Hartford I'm thinking of is a " Pre- High Standard " and a collectors gun, not a shooter. Very few High Standard parts will fit the Hartford guns and there are no other parts source. Hartford has a nice ring to it so perhaps there were other guns made with that name? :D While I was typing , deadin was posting

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Here is one. It must be the internals that are different than a Model B this baby looks just like my Model B on the outside.

Quote from seller
The action seems to function, though this rare and unique pistol is a bit foreign to us. It appears as though the slide is manually drawn back and then manually returned forward. The forward lever on the left rear of the frame looks to be a slide lock, but it locks the slide forward. This lock may be missing a spring as it
That can't be right it's looks blow back to me
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10354...et-model-1925-manually-repeating-pistol-fiala

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Hartford Arms and Equipment Co. was founded in late 1925 by three men from Massachusetts. They produced two .22 pistols and a .22 rifle.

The most common Hartford pistol was the semi-auto. The single shot was less common and one will seldom encounter the rifle. There is mention on a number of gun guides of a magazine fed manually operated Hartford similar to the Fiala or Schall pistol. This repeating Hartford pistol does not exist. If I recall correctly , the first mention of the Hartford repeater is in Edward Chappels gun guide. Later other gun guides included it in their listings. It is not found in the Hartford Arms literature or magazine advertising as do the other two pistols and rifle. The only reported sightings of the Hartford repeater turned out to be an unmarked Schall pistol.

The Hartford single shot came in two different serial number series and in two major variations. the first variation was made by Hartford and the second which had a slightly larger diameter barrel was made by High Standard with Hartford markings. The High Standard version began shipping at the same time as the High Standard Model B and ended in July 1933.

The Hartford semi-auto also appeared in two different serial number series. There were three different major variations of the semi-auto independent of the grips and finish variations. It is similar in appearance to the early Colt Woodsman family. However the Hartford guns were a pretty pedestrian gun that were a good deal cheaper than the Colt product. Examination of the bore with a bore scope will show that the rifling was not always well cut.

High Standard bought the remains of Hartford out of bankruptcy and began producing the single shot with little change except the barrel diameter and the semi-auto went into production with numerous changes including a completely new magazine but still utilizing some small Hartford parts like the trigger and front sight.

There is some collector interest in Hartford but mostly by High Standard collectors as there are few collectors interested in just Hartfords.

John Stimson
www.histandard.info

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Decided to let it simmer and see if a price drop might be possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts