The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With primers getting harder to find without paying scalpers’ prices, I’ve been looking into ways to reuse old primers. Watched a few YouTube videos on the subject. Decided I may order some Prime-All rather than mess with the more experimental scraping match heads or using roll caps from a toy gun.

So have any of you tried this? It may be the only thing to keep me reloading for awhile.

Reactions: chaswea

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
No sir Willie, I've not tried it, yet. As you've watched some videos, how are they holding the anvil in?

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
No sir Willie, I've not tried it, yet. As you've watched some videos, how are they holding the anvil in?
Yeah I thought about that too...I’ve heard and seen about using match heads or priming solution and acetone but the ones I saw only pertained to reloading rimfires or percussion caps. I’ve always wondered if you could use homemade percussion caps to set off berdan cases, but I’ve never found an easy way to deprime berdan cases.

PLEASE don’t tell me about the “hydraulic method.”🤨 I’ve tried it hundreds of times and all I get is a wet mess on my bench...

·
Super Moderator
26,201 Posts
I have and actually plan on using some more that I am going to remove from some 38-45 brass that I have. I push them out real gentle like and push them in the same way.

Oh. you mean reusung used primer cups. No, never have.

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
Forster used to make a tool/die for making percussion caps from aluminum cans that you primed with cap gun caps. I bought one. It worked and they worked but it was a first class PITA punching out the caps and inserting them into the formed cup. It took at least two caps per cup to be mostly dependable and 3 was better...and even more of a pain. I have no idea what happened to to it nor do I care.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I don't have problems finding primers since I quit looking for them. As I understand it this is the fourth major shortage going back to Obamas first term as president. Before that you have to go back to WW-2 and that was the last major shortage. The hand writing is on the wall and from what I'm hearing this will go on for at least one or two more years. Any one want to talk about fishing? There is no shortage of fish in the lakes and I have better luck looking for them.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s the part I’m trying to figure out as well. The anvils are pressure fit I guess so This may take some trial and error to figure

I don't have problems finding primers since I quit looking for them. As I understand it this is the fourth major shortage going back to Obamas first term as president. Before that you have to go back to WW-2 and that was the last major shortage. The hand writing is on the wall and from what I'm hearing this will go on for at least one or two more years.
That is a pretty scary prediction. I hope that isn’t what comes to pass for many reasons.

Any one want to talk about fishing? There is no shortage of fish in the lakes and I have better luck looking for them.
I don’t have the patience for fishing and my wife hates fish. (I dunno what’s wrong with her either.)

·
TFF Chaplain
19,240 Posts
Should we start looking for flints for flintlock guns?

·
Registered
421 Posts
There's a poster on another forum (dedicated mainly to "cast bullets", though they spell the second word differently), who's had some success with the paper caps & no anvil. Except for a VERY slight reduction in velocity (in a .45 Colt "cowboy" load) and a very slight delay in ignition, no real difference was noted.

·
Super Moderator
26,201 Posts
The anvils are a lot like a welsh plug. They are slightly oversized and when pushed in, retain themselves on the walls of the cup.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The anvils are a lot like a welsh plug. They are slightly oversized and when pushed in, retain themselves on the walls of the cup.
So do they need to be straightened before reinserting them? This may be a more interesting project than originally planned. I’ve ordered the Prime-All though.

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
As many as fall out when de-priming it seems there's going to have to be something done for them to stay in place. If a fella is good enough he could make a die for his press or devise some hand held press such as the priming tools that would flatten them an exact amount each time. Obviously they shouldn't be completely flattened, just straightened enough to grasp the inside of the cup upon firing. Seems to me that same die/press could be utilized to insert the anvil into the cup. I can see it in my head but making it is above my pay grade.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
As a test, I reloaded 3 used pistol primers using the scraped match box and crushed strike-anywhere head method. Made the material, tested a bit by placing on my vise and smacking with a spoon... Made a good robust pop... I was actually surprised.

Deprimed, removed anvil with pointy tweezers, used punch to flatten primer strike. Tweaked anvil for fit ( trial/error ) put in some compound, tamped with match stick. Installed primer in 38spl case.

Test fired empty case in a 357. It 'fired'.

Made another..same method.. With a bunnyfart load of trailboss and a cast lead projectile.

...it fired. My skeptical mind said it took a little longer.. Not like a hang fire.. But.. My mind says it took longer. Anyway.. It took forever. Hope it never comes to that. I'll grab my flinter first

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As a test, I reloaded 3 used pistol primers using the scraped match box and crushed strike-anywhere head method. Made the material, tested a bit by placing on my vise and smacking with a spoon... Made a good robust pop... I was actually surprised.

Deprimed, removed anvil with pointy tweezers, used punch to flatten primer strike. Tweaked anvil for fit ( trial/error ) put in some compound, tamped with match stick. Installed primer in 38spl case.

Test fired empty case in a 357. It 'fired'.

Made another..same method.. With a bunnyfart load of trailboss and a cast lead projectile.

...it fired. My skeptical mind said it took a little longer.. Not like a hang fire.. But.. My mind says it took longer. Anyway.. It took forever. Hope it never comes to that. I'll grab my flinter first
Well, at least it’s proof of concept. I had no illusions that this would be a speedy process but possibly a necessary one. I still think the anvils are going to be the worst part of it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts