Have you ever had to draw & discharge your firearm in SD?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Suicide*Ride, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride DEPLORABLE member Supporting Member

I'm curious to see how many of our members have had to protect &/or defend themselves discharging a firearm in self defense.

Living in the wilderness, I've come close to being cougar & bear scat so your story doesn't have to be about a gun battle w/an armed assailant.

S*r

Fletch.N, flboots and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Yes I have, several times, only once a confirmed hit. All captured on a game wardens camera. I was released, and he went to jail after a trip to the ER.
    I posted here about another one with four wanted felons, no one hit, but a lot of real close misses. That was just a few miles from Miss Rae's place.
    The last one was a running gun battle, can't confirm any hits, but there was a couple of them I know I didn't miss. It was dark, I had a Starlight scope, and they didn't. It was front page news here on the west coast, and so was the fallout from it for more than a year after. Can't post anything more about it here, but I'd be glad to tell you about it over a cup of coffee. 30yrs ago, and I still wake up in a cold sweat from nightmares of it.

3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

several times.. all I am allowed to say online.

4. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    next door neighbors sister dog. It never came over again! but then again she never brought the dog back to her brothers house. I never knew a dog and full speed could do the moon walk on grass.

5. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member

No actual "discharge" but a little intimidation.;)
    Just happened to be headed home from the Police shooting range. Headed thru the "darker" part of town when I got cut off (big time) by a BIG Black Cadillac with 4 brothers in it. Me, being young and dumb replied with a "freeway hi sign". That's when the driver motioned for me to pull over. SO, I pulled over.:):oops:
    The driver got out and kept getting out. :eek::eek: Must have been 7 foot 12 and about 500 pounds. Think GORILLA !!
    Me, driving a 4 door hardtop with all the windows down. :)cool::cool:) As the Gorilla got up to the drivers side front door where my left arm was resting, he reached for me, stopped and noticed my Ruger Super Blackhawk resting on top of my elbow and pointing at his belly. :yikes:He mumbled something as he raised his hands, stepped back, turned around and headed back to his ride, got in and headed down the street at a pretty good pace. The other three in the car were looking back but said NOTHING.
    Would I like to be in that position again? HELL NO!!
    Young and dumb (and stupid!!) can put in bad situations. The worst part? The Ruger wasn't even loaded, but he didn't know that. Only took about an hour to stop shaking.:oops: Won't put myself in that position, ever again.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Fletch.N, jonb32248, REM1875 and 8 others like this.
  6. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

7. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I've never discharged a weapon in South Dakota or in self-defense. :)
    I did one night pull a gun and go in search of an intruder.
    I must tell you my heart was RACING. I was sure there was someone there and I was doing my best TV FBI/SWAT sweep of the area.
    Next day, I saw the tracks. There was someone there. I don't know if they saw me or not.
    It was eye opening and made me rethink a lot of things.

Suicide*Ride, Broot, ms6852 and 2 others like this.
  8. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

Came close to drawing once but luckily I didnt have to draw.

Suicide*Ride, ms6852 and flboots like this.
  9. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Only if shooting the squirrels that chew holes in my house counts.
    I've been stacking up those little rats like cord wood.

Fletch.N, Suicide*Ride, Broot and 6 others like this.
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bake in the 70's A guy I had worked for threatened to kill me and my whole family. I figured it would be better to find him before he found me. I tossed my shotgun in the back seat and my pistol in my glove box and went looking for him. I spotted his car in a bar parking lot and waited for him to come out.

He finally came out and I stuck the shotgun in his face. He begged for me not to shoot him. I took his gun and tossed it in some weeds. I told him if I ever saw him again I wouldn't hesitate. Never had a problem with him after that.

Fletch.N, Broot, ms6852 and 5 others like this.
  11. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

gvw3, your my kind of guy. never let a threat go unanswered. they dont expect that. when they come at you, you go at them harder.

12. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I discharged my firearm in South Dakota in self defense, The stupid pheasant was flying right at me, and I was sure he was on a kamikaze mission to take me out, so I killed him first.

13. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

That's my excuse with the squirrels. You have to yell "he's coming right for us!" first.

Fletch.N, Suicide*Ride, Broot and 6 others like this.
  14. Screener

Screener Well-Known Member

Only once, when I was much younger. Not sure if I hit him but never saw him again. He broke into my basement apartment before dawn

15. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

No discharge of weapon. I was stationed in Ft. Polk at the time. I heard a big crash in the adjacent apartment and this woman started screaming and banging on my door for help. I let her in, and she stated someone had broken her window and was trying to get in. I called the police, and the dispatcher stated that it would be about 30 minutes before anyone could be there as they were clear across the parish. The police dispatcher asked me if I would mind going into her apartment and check it out. Was not to thrilled about it but said yes for the woman's sake. I gave a description of myself to the dispatcher to pass along to the police should they ever arrive and told them I was carrying a 686. I had to put on my NVG's as it was storming and we had lost power. Reminded me of how much I hated CQB and that I never wanted to be a LEO.

Fletch.N, Suicide*Ride and flboots like this.