The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
12,690 Posts
I had an acquaintance that I got into an argument with in my yard. He went and grabbed his shotgun off the gun rack in his pickup. I ran into the house and grabbed my 1911. As he was coming toward my back door I warned him I had my pistol and I would shoot him if he came through that door. He backed off and got in his truck and left. Never made contact with him again.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have never had to draw my gun in San Diego ........elsewheres yes ......nor in South Dakota .
I did met a young friend of my daughters late one night down the end of a 44-40 rifle. He later joined the AF and turned out fine.
I live in the country and have most of my life - so critters- yes ...... people- no ...... just having a gun was all i needed. (more than once)
Now I have been shot .....more than once. (accidentally - I believe)
I have also been shot at ......

·
Registered
58 Posts
No! Never drawn, never fired.

·
Super Moderator
42,066 Posts
Four times a gun saved my butt, job, property, and my brother.

1984 was the first time. I was cutting through a state park at night on my way home. Three older guys were sitting on a park bench and one asked me for a light for his cigarette then he pocketed my lighter. When I demanded it back the three guys jumped me and one ripped my glasses off my face. Then they started punching me. I got a few punches back at them then cut and ran home which only took about two minuets, grabbed my T/C Contender in 22 WRM and went back to the park. These morons were still sitting on the park bench, so I walk up and said “ I have a gun. Give my glasses and lighter back or all three of you are dead.” They did not believe me so I fired a round over there heads, and hollered “If you run, I’ll just shoot in the back.” They gave my glasses and lighter back. Then I made them give me all of their keys because I did not who's car they were using, and threw their keys in the tall grass when I left.
Out come. Fired one shot.
Good thing you did not need a second shot with that Contender!!

Never had to pull a gun on anything.

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
I'm curious to see how many of our members have had to protect &/or defend themselves discharging a firearm in self defense.

Living in the wilderness, I've come close to being cougar & bear scat so your story doesn't have to be about a gun battle w/an armed assailant.

S*r

I've had to pull a firearm twice to stop an attack.

Once was while out in the woods and a feral dog started to charge me.

Once was coming home to my apartment and a feral thug charged me after walking out of my apartment carrying my stuff, loading it into the back of his car he had pulled up to my door.

I fired on the dog, stopping the attack.

I got the gun drawn, and the thug turned on his heels, jumped in his car and fled.. did not fire.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Once heard shots in the middle of the night next door. Got my shotgun and went outside and started up their driveway and thought " I don't know where this person is so for all I know they could be drawing a bead on me right now". Not wanting to be shot I went back in the house and waited to see if the cops came or more shots but it was quiet the rest of the night. When I was driving a ten wheeler delivering precast concrete products I got chased off a site because the customer didn't want to pay. But have never so far drawn or shot at someone else.

·
DEPLORABLE member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the posts! A lot of great stories! :thumbsup:

I've had to draw a loaded firearm 5 times, but only once did I have to shoot.

Zero dark thirty & I hear my trash can fall over in the car port. Go outside w/ my USP compact 45 & yep, trash everywhere! I don't see any critters & decided to take a look around the corner of the house. Had a thick row of holly bushes up against the house and just when I considered going back inside - BOOM! The bush in front of me exploded and a basketball sized head
with teeth lunged at me!

I fired twice, center mass, just below the jaw, & what looked like a a greyhound bounded into the woods.

What happened in 3 seconds, felt like 3 minutes & it was hrs before I could get back to sleep. Three days later, I cut through the woods, walking to the neighbors house and found a dead dog outstretched in a thicket. Looked like a pit bull head on a long slender body (like a greyhound?)

He had a cheap tow rope tied around his neck and I could see where he'd chewed through it. After I buried him, I took a ride to the mobile home park down the street and found an abandoned home w/a tow rope tied to a porch railing. Turned out to be a meth head's home and the owner had been locked up 2 weeks prior for a year.

I'm not proud of what I had to do, but would do it again if put in the same situation... :oops:

I also believe w/o training, I might have had a different story to tell.

S*r

Reactions: Bigdog57

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Yes.
A fella being pursued by police.
Running full bore toward the wife and I -
She brought out her 12 gauge, and I held it on him, warning him over and over.
Finally, I fired one over his head -
That worked. He did a 90 degree turn and ran up into the woods.
Police said they suspect he thought he could grab us as shields against them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have had to shoot my way out of several packs of feral dogs that wanted to eat me. I have had several instances with humans in which a handy handgun was a great comfort even though they never knew I had it. It is easier to stand firm in the face of danger from man or beast if you know you have a very good tool for self preservation in your pocket.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts