Have you ever had to draw & discharge your firearm in SD?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Suicide*Ride, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member

I live out in the Country where it's DARK AT NIGHT!! No street lights anywhere and you can't see your hand in front of your face. Heard a car pulling up in my driveway. Maybe 150 feet from the main road. Stepped out the back door with my pump shotgun. \As I came around to the front of the house, I racked a round in the chamber and heard "He's got a shot gun". Couple of young butt sniffers looking for the girl next door. Didn't take long for them to load up and hit the next driveway over.
    Being dark outside put ME at the advantage.;)

Fletch.N, Suicide*Ride, Broot and 2 others like this.
  2. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

i sitting here reading the and i remembered, yes me also. lived on a nice wide avenue in seattle in the early 60/s. watching tv and from my up stairs window i saw a guy break into a mom and pop food store across the avenue. called the cops and they said it would be about a 1/2 hour, they were very busy. got out my smith chief special 38 and put some shells also in my right pocket. went down stairs and then out to the front of the store across the street. he was in their trying to break in something where he thought their was money. he saw me and came to the broken glass door. when you come out side that store im going to blow you away. stay in their. he looked at me holding my smith on him and run to the back of the store. he couldnt get the back door open and made a lot of noise. after a while he came back to the front. looked at me with my gun for awhile and said, you will never shoot me. i said oh yes i will. for some reason i was calm as a cucumber. he stepped into the street through the broken big glass door and started to walk, not run away. i said, you should have listened to me and let 4 rounds go of by his feet as in the old westerns to made them dance. he screamed, oh my God im going to die. i could have shot him instead of making him skip a little but shooting a man in the back didnt appeal to me. then the cops pulled up and grabbed him. then they said go back to bed and by the way you should have shot him in the back, do that next time. when the court date come up, i and the two cops were sitting their waiting to go in to to what had happened. a man came out of the court room and told us we didnt have to come in. the bad guy had stolen a car and went to calif. got cought down their and was going to prison down in calif. i was afraid he had a knife and didnt see any gun. if he would have flash a weapon it wouldnt have been bullets by his feet but at him. about a week later a guy showed up at my door. he run a insurance agency about a block and a half from the incident. he said i want you to pay for a new sign on my building. why i said, he ssid their is a tiny round hole in it. i didnt fell like being a good citizen and said get out of here and dont come back. he did and didnt. the way i was shooting was a mpark and trees and nobody. most were in bed. a hundred lights came on when i fired of those rounds. those days were different, very different. ive had bullet go by my head hit my truck,hit my car and even go at my feet between my feet. that was the only time i shot at someone. had a heckava fight with three islam guys with knives, no guns, but i went at them like nuts. im sure it was the first real fight they had ever been in. their eyes turned to fear very fast. they never met a french, italian norwegian, russian, genghis khan mongol, cree ANERICAN mix before. that was a fight. almost forgot ive done all those things.

gvw3, Fletch.N, Suicide*Ride and 2 others like this.

3. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Three letters for this, N V G.

Fletch.N likes this.
  4. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Four times a gun saved my butt, job, property, and my brother.

1984 was the first time. I was cutting through a state park at night on my way home. Three older guys were sitting on a park bench and one asked me for a light for his cigarette then he pocketed my lighter. When I demanded it back the three guys jumped me and one ripped my glasses off my face. Then they started punching me. I got a few punches back at them then cut and ran home which only took about two minuets, grabbed my T/C Contender in 22 WRM and went back to the park. These morons were still sitting on the park bench, so I walk up and said “ I have a gun. Give my glasses and lighter back or all three of you are dead.” They did not believe me so I fired a round over there heads, and hollered “If you run, I’ll just shoot in the back.” They gave my glasses and lighter back. Then I made them give me all of their keys because I did not who's car they were using, and threw their keys in the tall grass when I left.
    Out come. Fired one shot.

1989 was the second time. I worked for now out of business chain of auto parts stores with two in the city of Pontiac, MI. This city was kind of dangerous with all kinds of violent crime. The business I worked for required a cash bank drop every night. We also had to be out of the building by 10:15 PM or the alarm would call the cops, and then the next day I would get crap about being late leaving. One night as I get into my car with the bank drop, three guy’s ran up to my car and threatened me with baseball bats hollering at me to give them the bank drop bag. I had been to a gun range prior to going to work that day to test some ammo I had loaded for an IHMSA match the up coming weekend, and because some thief had busted the lock on my cars trunk, I had my Remington XP 100 competition gun under the seat. So I pull that out, which looks like a sawed off rifle, and when the three thugs saw the gun, all three dropped their bats and took off running faster then Usain Bolt. I collected their bats they left behind, and went on my marry way to the bank, and then home.
    Out come. Fired no shots.

1992 was the third time. My brother and I were renting an old farm house that was off the beaten path and was heated by a wood/coal stove. We had a rather large pile of split firewood in the front yard that we had not gotten to stacking by the house. My brother was not home and I had all the house lights off except for my bedroom which can not be seen from the houses front, and my Jeep was in the back field so it looked like no one was home. I hear a thumping/banging sound, so I go to investigate, and find some guy loading are firewood into the bed of his pickup truck. I grabbed my Remington 700 PSS in 223 Rem. and load it with five live rounds and chamber a blank round. I go out the back door and sneak up on this guy, then as he finally sees me I ask why he thinks he can steal my firewood. He try's telling me that he talked to some guy a couple days prior here and was told he could have as much as he wanted to which I asked him to describe the person who told him that. He could not, so I told him “I’ll give you exactly two minutes to unload the wood from the truck or I will just shoot your thieving a**, and that will just pizz me off because then I’ll have to drag your dead body back into the 500 acres of dense woods to bury you.” He said to me “BS”, so I fired the blank round at him. Never in my life have ever seen anyone grab arms full of firewood and toss it like he did. Truly impressive. Some months latter I am in town and I see this same guy. I could stop myself from pointing an imaginary rifle and pretended I shot at him. This guy burnt rubber driving away leaving a trail of tire smoke.
    Out come. Fired one blank round.

1993 was the fourth time. My brother was working for some guy who did tree removal who my brother let his employer park his trucks on are rental property which was just shy of 40 acres. One day I hear my brother and his employer arguing in the living room, then I hear a crashing sound and my brother say “Don’t you ever touch me again” and his employer hollers back something and along with “I’ll beat you to death.” I grabbed my 1911 inserted a full magazine and racked the slide. I stormed into the living room and my brother said that when his employer heard the gun racking, did an about face and ran out of the house to which I went out to confront him but he had drove off already. I waited for my brothers employer to get home and called him and told him that if I ever hear of him even just talking loud at my brother again that I’ll cap him and feed him through his own wood chipper. I found a better paying job for my brother the following week, and his former employer now had to pay to park his trucks els-ware.
    Out come. Fired no shots.

I do not believe in calling the cops.
    One. I do not trust most cops when it comes to making any logical conclusions and end up me being arrested for protecting myself.
    Two. Showing thugs that they will never know when their intended victim will produce a gun and get themselves shot. With this second one, I feel I am doing a public service.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Suicide*Ride likes this.
  5. Rae Harrison

Rae Harrison Well-Known Member

I took the neighbors dog home under the barrel of my shot gun.... It was an almost.
    Does it count?

gvw3, Fletch.N and Suicide*Ride like this.
  6. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

I had an acquaintance that I got into an argument with in my yard. He went and grabbed his shotgun off the gun rack in his pickup. I ran into the house and grabbed my 1911. As he was coming toward my back door I warned him I had my pistol and I would shoot him if he came through that door. He backed off and got in his truck and left. Never made contact with him again.

Fletch.N and Suicide*Ride like this.
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Close enough, I've always said close only counts with things like horse shoes, hand grenades, and dancing close with Catholic girls....so yep, close counts.:D

Suicide*Ride and Rae Harrison like this.
  8. REM1875

REM1875 Well-Known Member

TEXAS - near Buffalo Springs -Clay County
    I have never had to draw my gun in San Diego ........elsewheres yes ......nor in South Dakota .
    I did met a young friend of my daughters late one night down the end of a 44-40 rifle. He later joined the AF and turned out fine.
    I live in the country and have most of my life - so critters- yes ...... people- no ...... just having a gun was all i needed. (more than once)
    Now I have been shot .....more than once. (accidentally - I believe)
    I have also been shot at ......

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Fletch.N and Suicide*Ride like this.
  9. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

pr1957, what a good story, thanks. you always did the right thing.

Suicide*Ride and Fletch.N like this.
  10. JohnCEa

JohnCEa Member

No! Never drawn, never fired.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Good thing you did not need a second shot with that Contender!!

Never had to pull a gun on anything.

12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I've had to pull a firearm twice to stop an attack.

Once was while out in the woods and a feral dog started to charge me.

Once was coming home to my apartment and a feral thug charged me after walking out of my apartment carrying my stuff, loading it into the back of his car he had pulled up to my door.

I fired on the dog, stopping the attack.

I got the gun drawn, and the thug turned on his heels, jumped in his car and fled.. did not fire.

13. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

Once heard shots in the middle of the night next door. Got my shotgun and went outside and started up their driveway and thought " I don't know where this person is so for all I know they could be drawing a bead on me right now". Not wanting to be shot I went back in the house and waited to see if the cops came or more shots but it was quiet the rest of the night. When I was driving a ten wheeler delivering precast concrete products I got chased off a site because the customer didn't want to pay. But have never so far drawn or shot at someone else.

14. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

15. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride DEPLORABLE member Supporting Member

Thanks for the posts! A lot of great stories! :thumbsup:

I've had to draw a loaded firearm 5 times, but only once did I have to shoot.

Zero dark thirty & I hear my trash can fall over in the car port. Go outside w/ my USP compact 45 & yep, trash everywhere! I don't see any critters & decided to take a look around the corner of the house. Had a thick row of holly bushes up against the house and just when I considered going back inside - BOOM! The bush in front of me exploded and a basketball sized head
    with teeth lunged at me!

I fired twice, center mass, just below the jaw, & what looked like a a greyhound bounded into the woods.

What happened in 3 seconds, felt like 3 minutes & it was hrs before I could get back to sleep. Three days later, I cut through the woods, walking to the neighbors house and found a dead dog outstretched in a thicket. Looked like a pit bull head on a long slender body (like a greyhound?)

He had a cheap tow rope tied around his neck and I could see where he'd chewed through it. After I buried him, I took a ride to the mobile home park down the street and found an abandoned home w/a tow rope tied to a porch railing. Turned out to be a meth head's home and the owner had been locked up 2 weeks prior for a year.

I'm not proud of what I had to do, but would do it again if put in the same situation... :oops:

I also believe w/o training, I might have had a different story to tell.

S*r

Bigdog57 likes this.