Having guns in the house...kids?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ineedsoap16, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

My wife are at the point that children are not that far down the road. We are stable now; goods jobs, home, the whole deal. My question is how do you guys handle and store firearms in your home? Right now I only have a .22 and a 12ga for homedefense that is hanging concealed under the bedframe on my side of the bed. Like I said now that we are stable I am ready to start building a collection. I plan on a safe, so locked arms are not the issue. I would still like something close to me (say at night) for obvious reasons. Handgun / stotgun doesn't realy matter. I've looked into handguns and the 1911 looks like a it may be joining us soon. I guess what I'm really asking is about is kids and safety. I was raised in a house with guns and was taught at the earliest age that I could understand fully, the respect needed with living with let alone handling firearms.

So basically, what do you guys do?

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you said it... instill knowledge, respect, and discipline your children in the safe use and handling of firearms and you wont have anything to worry about. Its not something you can just talk to them about once and expect them to 'get' it. Its a daily thing. My kids like to help me with reloading and cleaning/fixing guns. wes is 2, jr. is 4, and autumn is 6. Autumn really has no interest in guns and generally keeps to her barbie dolls, jr is just like me, a gun nut, constantly wanting to shoot and fondle his .410, and is my biggest helper when it comes to operating the press. wes is just beginning, he likes to play with my brass while i reload, hes still too young to understand but it doesnt stop me from including him in the daily lessons. Another thing I can say really helps instill respect is taking them out as soon as they are old enough to hold a firearm and show them how to shoot, Autumn killed her first bunny when she was 5, and she hasnt really wanted anything to do with firearms since. I dont think shes ruined, she just would rather draw the bunnt on paper hopping around in the pasture than shoot it with a shotgun. Jr. killed his first bird with his .410 just a couple weeks ago. he was proud and carried it all the way up from the back of the land just to show his mother. Wes will get his own firearm as soon as hes able to hold one and he will get the same disciplines. Basically, I try to eliminate the old saying "curiosity killed the cat" if they are familiar with them, know how they work, and most importantly know what they are capable of, then they are less inclined to sneak in the gun room when mommy and daddy aint lookin. It has certainly proved true thus far.

Best of luck

JLA

3. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

The unknown fascinates kids. I grew up with firearms and started shooting about age 8(64 years ago). When my kids came along I taught them gun safety and allowed them to shoot with supervision as soon as they expressed interest. They knew they could shoot whenever they wanted so there was no mystery involved. Same with my grandson.

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I didn't read the replies but I am sure I echo their thoughts when I say EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION! Never hide the guns, don't make them objects of desire. Let your kids handle them and shoot them when old enough. This way at the VERY LEAST if they for some reason get into them they will KNOW HOW TO BE SAFE.

That being said it would be much tougher with a small child. Not sure how to handle that. May need to get one of those convenient quick-unlock safes for the handgun and keep everything else in a bigger safe. You can't hide things from 2 or 3 years olds, and they are probably a tad young to learn how to safely handle a handgun.

I come from a home not with a lot of guns, but my dad has been a cop longer than I have been alive so I have ALWAYS been around guns and never had a problem because I was raised right!

When I say always around guns I kid you not, notice in my dads jacket :D.

[​IMG]

5. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Absolutely, it's traditional in my family to teach the yung-uns (boys and girls) when there 5 how to shoot a rifle. Younger then that were tought what it can do. No one in my family has ever shot someone on accident. Guns were loaded and ready to go. Though in my house there's only one kept loaded. My youngest is six, and my oldest grandchild is 10.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

ineedsoap I don't know if you've seen any posts by WomenOfCaliber, but she has an excellent web site that discusses this along with many other firearms related topics. Check out this link then look for the title "Children and guns" in the left margin. I wont add more to what's already been said on this threat or in WOC's blog.

http://womenofcaliber.wordpress.com/

7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Having guns in the house with kids is not as big a deal as some would make it out to be. As long as the ammunition is kept segregated and the kids are educated to not bother the guns wit out adult supervision.

Loaded guns in the house is a whole different issue. The loaded firearm needs to be in your control at all times or be locked away to where no children have access to it. You may trust your children but your childrens friends are an entirely different wrench in the works.

I never locked away a firearm until my grand daughter came along then I decided it was time to lock it up if loaded and I did not have full control over it. My grand kids are going to learn about firearm safety as soon as they understand what is going on.

8. cec

cec New Member

It all comes down to common sense. Make sure the kid understands it is not a toy.

As far as storage, the safe is the good idea. In my state there is a law about it as well. The summary is make sure a child cannot get a hold of the firearm. Putting it in a gun safe or a bed side safe takes care of that.

There are good handgun safes that are quick access and stop curious hands from reaching it.

9. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I was taught by my Granddad that guns weren't toys. He took me to his country club when I was six and out to the skeet range. He helped me shoulder a shotgun, wrapped his arms around me and pulled the trigger. BOOM!! I knew then and there they were not toys and somewhat frightening.
    When my daughter came along, I pulled out a .22 PPK/s helped her shoot a couple of rounds, made he learn how to apply the safety on/off, that it was ALWAYS loaded, how to remove the mag, and generally bored her to death with gun knowledge.
    Kids are going to be curious, and they're going to find a gun. It's best that they know what they're looking at is not a toy, should not be handled without you being present, and that they can ask you and you'll let them see and handle it. Take the mystery and taboo out of it, bring them in, at the proper age of course, and you shouldn't have trouble. Having said all of that, keep them locked up and unloaded. TJ

10. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I have a safe but the arms I keep at the ready are kept in locations away from my 2 year old's reach. The tactic has worked for hundreds, if not thousands of years, except in the cases of those parents not paying attention. I do intend to buy some pistol safes in the near future for continuous storage of handguns but I wouldn't ever feel that my son was in danger from those. My son understands now what a 'guwan' is and he never offers to touch one. Teaching respect for firearms begins as early as a child learns what they are... I'm not sure I've helped you but I felt that I'd share my opinion with you anyway. Regards, Ponycar...