The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recently was given this gun that my grandfather purchased in the early 60's I believe. Although not interested in selling it now I am curious as to what it's worth. The black finish has worn off in a couple places and there is a line of short dotted nicks snaking along the top of the barrel that I'm not sure about. Any thoughts on getting it appraised or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
these were very cheaply made pistols and their retail is not much.i personally would not give over 100.00 for one and that only if i had a use for one.old semperfi

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The Hawes Marshall series were large frame single actions made by J.P. Sauer and Son in what was then West Germany. At one time there were 35 western shows running at the same time (50's and 60;s ) this created a " Western Craze " and a demand for Single Action type firearms. Because at the time the German mark was under valued, Hawes was able import these guns at a price that under cut Ruger and Colt. They are good guns for the price and there are still a lot of them around. If in good condition and functional the value would be 200 and up, but would top out at around 300. Hawes also made a smaller frame single action in .22 that was made in Italy, The guns came in a vast array of different grips and finishes. With out a clear a photo it would be very difficult to give any type of valid value estimate. Hope that helps BTW, while attractive, the grips are not real Mother of Pearl, they are genuine Faux plastic Pearl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have (2) Hawes Western Marshals in 357 Mag. Got them for Christmas in 1969, my first handguns. Nickel Plated w/ Pearl handles. As someone else noted they were cheaply made compared to Ruger or Colt but I have close to 10,000 rounds through each of them and would put them up against ANY 6 shooter. Have a more then a couple of trophys in the basement to prove they are accurate and very dependable.

My son had them to the range the other week and couldn't stop talking about how quickly and firmly they knock down steel plates at 50 and 100 yards. I have bought a couple of screws and small parts over the years from E-Gunparts.com.

Hang on to yours, not worth a lot but most likely will last forever!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Sauer and Sonn firearms were not cheaply made They cost less to manufacturer at the time because of the low value of the German Mark ( In 1968 the exchange rate was 4 marks to the dollar, in the 1970s it was 2 to the dollar, before they switched to the Euro it was about 1 to the dollar ). Made today the same firearms would cost much more than the Ruger and even exceed the Colt price. The same thing is happening in China now, it is cheaper to have something made and freight it to the States than make it here. China is resisting floating their currency because it will raise their manufacturing cost compared to the rest of the world ( except for a few 3rd and 4th and 5th world countries). Big hang up in the trade talks now. Now, if you're not confused about devaluation currency and floating the currency then you have not been paying attention.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts