The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 shot revolver I believe to be .38 cal with the serial #3992. On the top of the barrel is stamped "Hawkins & Allen Arms Co, Norwich, Conn. USA pat'd Aug 2, 1906" The words "Safety Police" are on the top of the frame that breaks to load/eject cartridges. This revolver is blued and appears in good working order, but I have not fired it.
I know very little about Hawkins & Allen and less about the value of this item and would appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Re: Hopkins & Allen Safety Police

the name of the company is "Hopkins & Allen". this company started in business in the 1860's manufacturing percussion revolvers and single shot pistols. their "safety police model" was their last top break revolver. 1906 to 1916 or so. it was not a bad design just not good enough to create a great following such as iver johnson's "hammer the hammer" it was also some what fragile. when the government tested one in 1910/1911 it failed after 923 rounds of smokeless powder. this revolver should NOT be fired with modern ammo.

the august 21, 1906 patent date is for patent #962137

the safety police action has the hammer pivioted on a cam which kept the hammer below the firing pin except when the trigger was pulled all the way though its cycle or when the hammer was cocked manuallyand then released by the trigger. the hammerless version of the safety police did not have the hammer cam but it did have the unique barrel latch featured on the hammer models. a parts list published by H&A in 1910 shows the hammerless safety police model to have a rebounding hammer as seen on earlier H&A models.

calibers offered in the safety police model were 22 rimfire 7 shots, 32 S&W centerfire 5 shots and 38 S&W centerfire 5 shots. the blue finish of your safety police revolver is some what rare as most came with a nickle finish and blue was an extra cost option.

there are no known serial number records for this model so the only dating is by the era of manufacture 1906 to 1917. H&A went bankrupt in 1917 and the factory was purchased by marlin/rockwell.

some of the above information can be found in the Hopkins & Allen book by charles carder now being reprinted by "fairway press"
bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info about this revolver.
I bought this weapon several years ago with a holster and a nearly full box of S & W .38, 146 grain, lead bullets. I'm now glad I didn't try to fire it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.