HD Military barrel removal

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by smith1943, May 5, 2009.

1. smith1943

smith1943 New Member

I want to reblue the barrel on my HD military but I haven't been able to remove the barrel. I removed the retaining pin and held the barrel in a vise while rapping the frame with a hammer then did the same after applying a little heat to the frame. No joy. I would appreciate any advice. This is a nice gun and I don't want to damage it.

dave

2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

If you keep doing what your doing then you will damage it. Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by HD Military. A model would help but most barrel removal jobs require a receiver clamp specific to the model and a barrel wrench. Doing this with your everyday shop tool can bend and twist the receiver and round out the barrel rendering the gun useless. If this is a high dollar gun then STOP. If you don't have the right tools, take it to a smith that does. Barrel removal is not that expensive when you compare it to the price of some the rifles out there.

3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

HD military IS the model.
    I have never removed an HD barrel, so I can't help.

4. islenos

islenos Active Member

High Standard is the maker

5. smith1943

smith1943 New Member

Let me clarify. (Should have done so in the first place) I made an aluminum block and bored it out to fit the barrel and then cut it lenghwise to clamp the barrel without damaging it. I used a maple block against the base of the trigger guard and struck the block, hoping to drive the frame off the barrel. The schematic looks to me as if there are no threads on the barrel just a slip fit. So far I can't make it slip. I quit before applying much force. What next?

6. muddober

muddober Active Member

The barrel on an HD Military is a bit of a press fit and it is NOT threaded. I would suggest that you clamp the barrel in a pair of aluminum split blocks that fit the barrel. Get yourself some resin and I can't tell you where but it is the same kind boxers used to rub their shoes before a fight (since outlawed). Using a large wooden dowel in the trigger guard gently turn it against the barrel just a bit to help break friction do NOT turn the barrel more than about a 1/4 of an inch or you will gall it. You might try a little penetrating oil. If the aluminum blocks are too much a chore to make then get an aluminum or even a hard wood dowel just a bit smaller that the ring that holds the barrel and with the frame in a protected vise tap on the receiver end of the barrel and that should remove it as well. I would suggest that put the frame in the vise in such a way that you are tapping down and not sideways putting a cardboard box with a bath towel under it to catch the barrel. You might try my last suggestion first. I am headed to my shop because I just happen to have an HD apart and I will post some pictures. You might want to pull the hammer out of the gun and the slide release. The reason mine are in the gun I was working on something else and I had to put it back together. Also heat works well when pushing the main track pin on a 66A (D 9 Cat) but you should refrain from using it on guns. I need to tell myself that at times because I have worked on both.

Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  7. smith1943

smith1943 New Member

Beautiful Ron. I have already made the blocks and have resin. i'll try turning fist. If it doesn't work I'll try the punch.
    Dave

8. smith1943

smith1943 New Member

Tried turning the frame while holding the barrel and was able to get about 1/8 turn. I might have been able to work it off but instead held the frame and used a punch. Worked great. Thanks everyone for your input. Now if I can figure out how to remove the trigger, I think i'll blue the frame also. This isn't a collector gun. (The serial numbers don't match.) but is a nice shooter. What do you all think of hot blue instead of rust blue? I think rust blue would be a better match with original but it's a lot more work.

Dave

9. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have not taken the trigger out of one in years but I am going to soon beause I am bluing the gun I showed you. All these guns were originally hot blued and not rust blued as you might of thought. I have two others that are like new and they too were hot blued. You didn't ask but if you can keep away from an electric buffer until the very end the better off your gun will be. If you take it down with 400 grit by hand and then very lightly give it a light polish with the green stick polish on a soft cloth buffer it will come out like new. Also I want to warn you that if the recoil spring gets away from you while the slide is still on the gun (easy to happen when reassembling the slide) you have a huge problem and I can walk you through it if that happens but we will have to do it over the phone.

Ron

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  10. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have not taken the trigger out of one in years but I am going to soon beause I am bluing the gun I showed you. All these guns were originally hot blued and not rust blued as you might of thought. I have two others that are like new and they too were hot blued. You didn't ask but if you can keep away from an electric buffer until the very end the better off your gun will be. If you take it down with 400 grit by hand and then very lightly give it a light polish with the green stick polish on a soft cloth buffer it will come out like new.

Ron

11. smith1943

smith1943 New Member

Thanks for your help Ron. I see how the trigger comes out but I haven't had any luck in driving it out. I am thinking about using Brownells Dicropan blue and I think I can get away without removing the trigger. I have polished down to 600 using wet or dry sandpaper lubricated with wd 40. Looks good to me. After I finish, Ill try posting a picture of the results. Thanks again.

Dave