The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask for suggestions regarding a heavy duty, single stage press. I need a press strong enough to reform brass cases, looking at $ 100, used. RCBS Rock Chucker ? Thanks, George

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
What caliber do you have in mind?

The Rock Crusher is fine for most all case forming.
Also keep an eye out for the Lyman Crusher (formerly the Orange Crusher if you're shopping used), the Hornady Classics are also the same size and strength class as the Rock Chucker too. Besides those three, pretty much every one of the makers has a press in that size class...even Lee makes a big cast-iron frame press.

If you're forming a really big case, you might need to step up to the RCBS AmmoMaster or similar....but that's definitely not the norm.
A Rock Chucker size press should do pretty much all the case forming that most guys will ever need to do.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any of the Herters model 3 series presses. They were overkill in their day and will do the job nicely . I had one as my first press, have a Rock Chukker now and have reformed brass on both. Herters gets the nod here.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
The RC would get my vote for your price range. The Herters is a good one too, as noted. The linkages on the Lee will not hold up with heavy duty use, they're cheap to replace though. The AmmoMaster would not be in that price range used.
What cases are you resizing? There are 4 generations of RC's and the earlier ones will not handle some of the longer cases.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Id go RCBS RC or Lyman T-Mag. Either are next to indestructible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts