The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a skull mount without fur or flesh. I think it is called European mount. I have the head cut off and carcass discarded. What do I do with the rest?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Just the way I've done them: get off everything you can, then bury it up to antler base and cover to prevent horn damage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Once you have removed the excess flesh and the brain material, put on a rain suit, and use a pressure washer to remove any remaining flesh. Then make up a 50:50 solution of bleach and water in a bucket and place the skull in for about 1/2 hour. Be sure to tape up the antler bases so the bleach won't discolor them. Check every 1/2 hour until clean. Rinse in cold water. Should be ready to mout on a board.

·
Super Moderator
10,814 Posts
I do it every year, I got to the point where cutting the antlers off got boring, so I decided to do whole skull's.
Here is my way.
Cut head off at the neck ball joint.
boil the head in water (i use a turkey fryer aluminum pot) for a hour or so until skull is cooked though.
Skin the hide, meat and cartilage off the skull. (save for soup)
Use a pressure washer to clean the cavity's and any stubborn cartilage left inside, be carful here when inserting the pressure washer into the eye sockets the brains do come out the other holes under pressure. (Don't ask how I know this)
Let dry for a day, Then I tape off the base of the antlers and rattle can any color you want, I used appliance white this year.
Also hydro dipping is very cool but more labor intensive than a single color spray can.... U-tube "hydro dipping skulls"
after the paint dries a day I clear coat it and drill a hole in the ball joint for a hanging screw.

This one turned out nice.

·
Super Moderator
40,179 Posts
Last time I did one, it took quite a while. I stuck the head in a big ole ant hill and let them do the work, but it actually took a few weeks to get most of it and I still had to pull the last of the skin (hair) off of iot.

·
Super Moderator
26,994 Posts
Other than what we talked about this morning; put it in the freezer until spring time. Then leave it out and let the maggots get to it. They will rid of all dead tissue.

You may have flies around after, but that's a different problem.

·
TFFWPP President
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other than what we talked about this morning; put it in the freezer until spring time. Then leave it out and let the maggots get to it. They will rid of all dead tissue.

You may have flies around after, but that's a different problem.
This sounds like my best option. Except sending it to you. Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts