Hearing protector recommendations

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by GoJoe, Sep 10, 2020.

1. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I double up with foam plugs and ear muffs when shooting sporting clays/trap or at the range. When hunting I use the ear muffs to help me hear game, I usually only shoot once or twice when hunting.

markr6754 and howlnmad like this.
  2. 9026543

9026543 Well-Known Member

I am sure that I will get flamed for this but I have been using a set of electronic muffs from Harbor Freight for 5 yrs and have no loss of hearing. OK purist flame away.

sparkyv, Kvasir and markr6754 like this.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Not from me. At least you're using something. More than I can say about myself most of the time.

sparkyv likes this.
  4. markr6754

markr6754 Well-Known Member

No flame from me. I have no significant issue with any muffs, just realizing that they need help in indoor shooting. That said, I was a submarine sonarman, "The Eyes and Ears" of the boat. My hearing is quite precious, and anything that impinges on that hearing, that I can prevent will be prevented. Just remember that the decibel scale is logarithmic, 3db is a huge power increase. Thus the difference between -23db standard electronic muff protection, and -27db for higher priced electronic protection is HUGE.

5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I used to use the foam earplugs but they didn't work for me. For handguns I always used earmuffs. About 5 years ago I bought a set of these. That's all I use now. ! set last me about a year.

upload_2020-9-14_15-30-32.png

howlnmad likes this.
  6. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have 2 pair of Electronic ear muffs and 3 pair of non-electronic ear muffs in my range bag. both of the electronic ear muffs hav volume adjustments.

7. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

I found years ago that for some reason if I use plugs, a week later I'm having a doctor clean out my ears. I have no idea why.
    So it's over the ear only for me. I change the stock if I can't shoot comfortably. Sometimes different scope mounts is all it takes.

markr6754 likes this.
  8. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

How about these cheap foamies for $0.55 a pair with a 33NRR? Didn't even try hard to find 'em.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KW5HME/ref=twister_B075DPJZTG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ral357 likes this.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I just use earmuff type hearing protection when target shooting. Never had a problem getting a good cheek weld. Sometimes too good of cheek weld (my Model 70 cuts my cheek when I shoot it a lot off a bench with a firm 'weld')

Worked on the Ramp for United a long time. United issued us really good ear muffs and also had both the foam and the rubber ear inserts. I hated those. They worked their way out and I also have a thing about wetness inside of my ears (the rubber ones had to be 'lubricated' for insertion'. As a Lead I wore a radio and was always 'jackin' my jaws' so the foam inserts quickly worked out of my ears.

I never used hearing protection while hunting. I figured I needed to hear everything I could out in the 'woods, and also I figured that if I did my part all I needed was one shot anyway. Never seemed to notice the noise when shooting game.

10. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I ruined my hearing when I was a pre teen with Colt .45 SAA's and a 1911 by shooting them with no protection. Rifles don't bother me at all. Well there was that one time when I fired my .54 Hawken with the muzzle still inside the shooting house. That puppy was loud!!!! I wear a 30 year old pair of North Gun Mufflers with pistols.

jim brady likes this.
  11. markr6754

Still missing the point. Foamies do well IF THEY STAY IN PLACE. Sure...find a pair of foam ear plugs that provide 50 NRR, who cares if they don't stay in? If you are that one person that never opens or closes his mouth while shooting, then those $0.55 foam plugs will be awesome. 33NRR is huge. Heck, I'll go ahead and but a bunch, BUT FOAM EAR PLUGS WALK OUT. I've already said I use them, but as a cheap backup for those scenarios that I have to adjust my muffs.

If you use foam earplugs and they work perfectly for you, keep on using them. I have no dog in that fight. Tell everyone you know that they only need a 55 cent investment to protect their hearing. And I'll keep telling people that if they want better assurance at protecting that one thing that they can't replace, use over the ear muffs.

sparkyv likes this.
  12. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member

xx NRR by itself doesn't mean anything, you have to take into account at which frequency it is measured and how that is done.
    Those 33NR amazon foamies are supposed to be better than for example Peltor Optime III muffs, I find that very hard to believe.

On a personal note, I have tried several foam and custom ear plugs and none attenuate as good as a decent set of muffs.
    On indoor ranges where also rifles are being shot I usually wear both, you can't be too careful about your hearing.

markr6754 likes this.
  13. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

Now I get your point! I did note that they must be properly used, and you're right, if the walk out, it's no bueno. I've never had that issue. Moldables may be a better solution in this case. These work great for me; these have a plastic stem to use to insert, no need to roll first.
    s-l1000.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 7:54 PM
  14. markr6754

Of course you’re correct. For the most part I’m referring to foamies designed with shooters in mind.
    Concerning your custom ear plugs...that’s the reason I now own a pair of Peltor muffs with 31db NRR, and they are awesome. I purchased a pair of Decibullz...custom molded ear plugs. I set them up over the weekend, fitted each one to my ears. They worked really well walking around the house hearing nothing. Took them to the range...no backup muffs...rather the ones I brought with me were given to my wife, and I’d neglected to add her pair. Things were looking up...right until I walked into the range, the sound deadening door closed, and the first AR went off. I was out of there in a flash, walked out to the shop area, grabbed the largest NRR muffs I could find...the Peltors...put them on over the Decibullz and shot delightedly, and quietly. Went home...put the Decibullz in their carry bag, and never touched them again.

vassago likes this.