Heart Issues, Blood Thinners & Shooting

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by FreedomAndForgiven, Apr 2, 2016.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have had my share of arterial grafts and stents over the past 13 years. I was on Plavix for 12 years and then this winter had a triple open heart coronary artery bypass. They had me on Coumadin after that but switched me to Xarelto after I got out of the hospital. All three of these will cause bruising on my lower arms and backs of my hands but that is the only place I have had it.
    All my doctors know of my gun hobby and none have ever said anything about not continuing to shoot. My surgeon said he may accept my invitation to shoot at my range this summer. The nurses all new of my gun interest and rather than being turned off they were full of questions. Some were anxious to tell me they had gotten their concealed carry.
    Stay in close contact with your heart doctor and ask him what he thinks.
    I have never been asked about gun ownership like you read in some of the emails circulating the web.

BlackEagle and wolfdog like this.
  2. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

Who said I own a gun ;) ;) I just get to shoot then a lot.

todd51 likes this.

3. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

If you have grandchildren about, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after touching a nitro before you touch the little munckins.

Broot likes this.
  4. FreedomAndForgiven

If I had a grandchild right now my teen or preteen would be getting a butt kicking, and a half.

Stahlrosen, howlnmad, wolfdog and 2 others like this.
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had a aortic valve replacement in 1986.
    I have been on Coumadin sense then. I am kept at (Or close to) 3.0 which is higher then what most people are at.
    I have been shooting the whole time and never had a problem.
    I shoot ALL kids of guns all cal. due to my job as a gunsmith and test every gun I work on.
    So Shoot away.
    Mike

BlackEagle, Shanghai and wolfdog like this.
  6. FreedomAndForgiven

Well it seems nothing with me can ever be simple lol. They didn a crap load other tests, and the doctors are baffled, but they now have full blown diagnosis. We had a conference call today, and discussed different meds. I am going to have to go on a blood thinner, and a type of nitroglycerin that I take daily that is continually released through out the day instead of an emergency on basis. We went over the different types of blood thinners, and even though it is an older one he said Warfin? Would be better for me because if im injured they can give me me a coagulate to help my blood clot, but the newer meds don't offer that.

He said he isn't going to suggest any lifestyle changes, and never asks that of any of his patients unless it is a truly life or death circumstances. He did inform me that I need to carry a first aid kit when I'm in the woods, and if people are with me that they know some simple first aid, and how to tie a tourniquet.

carver likes this.
  7. Shanghai

Shanghai Well-Known Member

I've been a heart patient for a good number of years. At age 30 I had a heart attack and cardiologists couldn't find a reason for it. I resumed a very active lifestyle that included distance running and endurance bicycling. No medication except a daily 81 milligram aspirin. At age 60 I had a second heart attack and it was due to an arterial blockage, I had a stent placed. During cardiac rehab involving exercise while wearing a monitor, atrial fibrillation was discovered. It was treated by having a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted. I took Coumadin(Warfarin) for a short period of time and was taken off when my cardiologist thought it OK. Now I take a cholesterol medication and an 81 Mg, aspirin, that's all. I still have an active lifestyle including bicycling and various heavy physical exercise. I hunt, shoot, and fish a lot. My implanted device records whatever my heart is doing 24/7 and on one occasion has saved my life by shocking my heart back into rhythm during an a-fib episode.

I now volunteer in a heart hospital with a group, sponsored by cardiologists, whose layman members counsel with heart patients who need treatment, intervention procedures, and subsequent lifestyle changes.

Forgive my wordiness but, you can return to a lifestyle even more active than your former one. I'm sure you know it was a grave mistake to disconnect your loop recorder. My advice to you is to religiously follow the advice of your doctors. You said the doctors are baffled but they aren't. They know what is happening and it is their intention to restore your heart to the best condition attainable. In the long term they will minimize medication including blood thinner as soon as medically advisable. The catheter procedure they mentioned is used, if indicated, to ablate whatever nerves are short circuiting to cause a-fib. Cardiology has come a long, long way.

I get great peace of mind knowing my implanted device is constantly working. In recent years I've been on two rigorous high altitude elk hunts and will do another soon.

Again, I apologize for the long post but people with heart issues need to face reality and reality is doctors today perform miracles with the heart. Patients must get with the program and do their part though.:):)

carver, jwdurf and gvw3 like this.
  8. FreedomAndForgiven

Yes I feel like an idiot for disconnecting my loop recorder. What has then baffled was they thought I had a massive a fib, then then they thought it was a very erratic arythmea. It turns out I have a bridge in the lower chamber if my heart, I have an A fib, and an arythmea. Which it was confusing them because the A fib, and the arythmea were looking almost identical on the basic report, and they said it is odd about the bridge because 99.999% of the people who do have a bridge they never even know it, but 0.001% of the people with them when the heart muscles tighten up it will cause then severe chest pain. Which with me having an arythmea my heart bounces around, and they had another concern because they have my heart a few weeks ago sitting at 20bpm for 30 seconds before jumping up to 47 bpm for the next 15 minutes. Learned my lesson, and even though they say I don't have to change my diet I've already start cutting back salt amd caffeine. Which says a lot for me lol.

carver likes this.
  9. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Several thoughts ran through my mind. Personally I had to give up the 12 ga. guns and went with a Remington 11-87 in 20 ga. Big improvement. Next thought is using a shorter stock and wearing the shooting vest with pad to protect the shoulder, and using lighter loads. It is a proven fact that the smell of burnt gun powder is medicinal.

gunnut1215 likes this.
  10. FreedomAndForgiven

I recently replaced the stock on my 870. The recoil is different now, but not in a bad way it is going to take some adjusting. I have switched to 1oz loads for trap shooting except for some factory 1 1/8oz loads I have set aside for when I am having to shoot at the back line. The doctors even though I am now on kumodon have said I am fine to keep living an active lifestyle. I haven't been able to get my new squirrel loads tested yet, but I went from 1 1/4 and 1 1/2oz loads to high velocity 1 1/8oz loads,

11. SteveCal

SteveCal New Member

A-fib and COPD. I've been on blood thinners, heart speed control meds, and lung meds, APAP, O2 at night since 2012. Before that I didn't even take Aspirin. Yep. Doc says do as I feel like doing but don't get stupid (He's a pretty direct kind of guy.) and remember "Your not 18 and in your prime anymore." Buddy calls me 'Bump-N-Bleed.' Can't walk more than 50 feet without a break to catch my breath which makes a trip into the swamp an all day affair. Don't hunt alone because I can't even pull the deer/hog cart. I ain't even stopping because of a little medical problem (LOL). At 70 "I" feel like I'm in my prime (until after a day in the woods.)

12. olafhardt

olafhardt Active Member

Smokeless powder is principly organic nitrates. I once calculated out that one 38 special load of Unique had more nitroglycerin than a whole bottle of those tablets I put under my tounge. Nitro cellulose also is an organic nitrate. I can not imagine that powder combustion is an efficient processs so I must inhale the combustion biproducts of gunpowder. I am sure unignited smokless powder gives off organo-nitrogenous fumes. I think that this is one reason I feel good after I shoot or reload. I brought this up with various doctors and they sorta agreed. Maybe the NRA, powder manufacters, military, etc should check this out. This might be of importance to shooters that are treating ED. One of my care givers mentioned that.

BlackEagle likes this.
  13. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

I wouldn't stop shooting, might go to a smaller caliber maybe a 9mm or 22. Hope things get better. Besides I find shooting a great stress release.

BlackEagle and Hovannes like this.
  14. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

In your case, I think I would follow
    Dr's orders not try to find some one on the internet that will tell you what youwand to hear.

joe45c likes this.
  15. Rae Harrison

Rae Harrison Well-Known Member

My dads on very expensive blood thinner, still working hard at 70! Prayers sent.