The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I just picked up a Walker 1847 reproduction made by Whitneyville. Any ideas on this or information on this particular Walker. I know it is made in Italy and branded and sold by Whitneyville.
So there some issues with it. I was hoping that someone with experience could help.
1. The wedge when placed all the way in revels a high spot in the cylinder, ie it will lockup. the wedge's metal clip once engaged causes this tightness. I did remove some roughness on the cylinder face. Any ideas?
2. The cylinder bolt seems to have had some issues. I can see someone has taken it apart, screw head damage. Bolt cylinder catch seems at first not to want to sink down but after a good clean and reassemble is seems to sink down when cycling the cylinder. I do see some cylinder wear now though having cocked it to check the movement. I did order a new bolt and spring.
#. Not sure if this is with all older revolvers, but the lockup is not good. when cocking the gun, the cylinder is positioned correctly but the cylinder will move out of battery if toughed (to the right)? Almost as though the bolt is not locked into the oval cylinder hole.
Thank You guys

· Registered
9,451 Posts
It's made by Uberti. It's a Walker with a dragoon barrel and cylinder. The Whitneyville was the first dragoon model. Uberti's have a short cylinder arbor and if you drive the wedge in too deep the cylinder binds against the forcing cone. It's an easy fix but will take a little time. You can do it with washers or a plug soldered to the end of the arbor but it will take some judicious filing and continuous checking to get a solid fit. Once its corrected you can drive the wedge in with a five pound hammer and not change anything. Weak cylinder lockup is not normal. The new bolt and spring may fix it. If you're not familiar with single actions and let the hammer down from half cock you can score the cylinder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts