The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been gaining more interest in hand guns and own 2- PK 380's and a Beretta PX 4 Storm and others but these are the rounds I will be mainly using. I placed an order with Dillon for a Square Deal B set up with .380 and .40 dies. I am brand new to reloading, some say this press is overkill for me being brand new to reloading, I say why buy something I will more than likely out grow in a short time. I also ordered a Lyman reloading guide to read and re-read before I even get started. What tips would you give a guy who is brand new to reloading? I plan on making a secure work station and putting it in a room in our basement. I am planning to join a local shooting club and hopefully going at least 2 weekends/month. With the 2 PK's, I'm guessing we would be going through roughly 500 rounds /month if not more, thats the reason for the progressive press. Lastly, anyone know where I might find small pistol primer's? Thanks in advance and look forward to talking.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It sounds you are on a good course, the Lyman manual will get you going in a safe, sensible manner. Good call on the press. Small primers are wiped out everywhere so maybe frequent local shops and you'll see some show up. Reloading 380 is going to payoff quickly, 380 is terribly expensive for such a tiny cartrige, second only to .25. I see this is your first post; welcome!

·
Super Moderator
41,364 Posts
Welcome to The Firearms Forum 380guy. I agree with 312, you are headed in the right direction and the square deal was a really good choice, first pres or not. My local gun shop had tons of every kind of primers last week, but that's not helping you much unless you live here in North Georgia

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to The Firearms Forum 380guy. I agree with 312, you are headed in the right direction and the square deal was a really good choice, first pres or not. My local gun shop had tons of every kind of primers last week, but that's not helping you much unless you live here in North Georgia
Thanks, If you have the number maybe I could call them, maybe they will ship.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So 380, where ya from. Originally wifey and I came up here along the Yukon from Crawford Co, out near Sugar Lake. Life was good back there, but taxes, urban growth all over, and loss of basic freedoms bothered me. Hunting & fishing was good in Pa, but it's off the charts in Alaska. Wish I would have come here as a young man, after getting outta the Army. The older ya get, the worse the knees get, the slower the goin gets; can't hunt as hard as I did as a young man.

I haven't really started on pistol reloading, got a few 1911's, 44s, a 480, a couple 460s and some 22's. I'm still working on reloading supplies for my pistols. Been reloading for all my hunting rifles, couple years; that keeps me busy enough.

I've been working on a big new stand 5 miles back in behind my place for nx fall. Got all the ply bolted to welded frame and whole thing weighs around 1500 lbs by my estimation. I got a big chain hoist, hope it works and doesn't come crashing down. Mainly for moose, caribou, and grizz bear which we can hunt over bait come May; pretty cool actually.

Minus 7 at 8pm, not so bad, been here 20 years, still hate the minus 60. So welcome to the forum; these guys here know their reloading stuff. You all got the Otters up in Erie, good junior hockey. I'll be watching the Pens come sat morn, here on Center Ice.

·
Super Moderator
41,364 Posts
Thanks, If you have the number maybe I could call them, maybe they will ship.
With the cost of haz mat fees, I don't know if it would be worth sending some unless it was massive quantities and I don't know if he would want to deplete his stock, he is pretty loyal to his regular customers. If you want his number, send me a PM and I will give it to you that way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Youtube has some videos of a SQB in action and I would recommend that you view some of those. Some ARE better than others. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8r6aKA1bk0 Also recommend that you only load enough rounds to fill a magazine and then go to the range and make sure the function in your pistol. Once you determine that the round will load and cycle the slide then you can work up loads to determine which one will give you the best accuracy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So 380, where ya from. Originally wifey and I came up here along the Yukon from Crawford Co, out near Sugar Lake. Life was good back there, but taxes, urban growth all over, and loss of basic freedoms bothered me. Hunting & fishing was good in Pa, but it's off the charts in Alaska. Wish I would have come here as a young man, after getting outta the Army. The older ya get, the worse the knees get, the slower the goin gets; can't hunt as hard as I did as a young man.

I haven't really started on pistol reloading, got a few 1911's, 44s, a 480, a couple 460s and some 22's. I'm still working on reloading supplies for my pistols. Been reloading for all my hunting rifles, couple years; that keeps me busy enough.

I've been working on a big new stand 5 miles back in behind my place for nx fall. Got all the ply bolted to welded frame and whole thing weighs around 1500 lbs by my estimation. I got a big chain hoist, hope it works and doesn't come crashing down. Mainly for moose, caribou, and grizz bear which we can hunt over bait come May; pretty cool actually.

Minus 7 at 8pm, not so bad, been here 20 years, still hate the minus 60. So welcome to the forum; these guys here know their reloading stuff. You all got the Otters up in Erie, good junior hockey. I'll be watching the Pens come sat morn, here on Center Ice.
I am from Erie. Would love to visit Alaska, I love watching the new Alaska reality shows. I recently got back into hunting, fishing and just being in the woods in general after many years off. Still waiting for the bay to freeze to do a bit of ice fishing but I doubt that will happen again this year, last year I went out and bought a lot of ice fishing gear and its all still in their wrappers,lol. Yes, we still have the Otter's, what can I say except they kind of suck and have so for 3 seasons now. Attendance is way down but they are in the process of rebuilding the Tulio Arena and from what Ive heard so far its coming along nicely.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I remember many weekends, we'd drive up Erie to ice fish the bay; also remember fishing crooked creek for steelhead. Funny thing is I have caught more steelhead out of crooked creek than out of the Situk down Yakutat; steelhead here are all wild and much harder to catch also bigger; foo jigs worked up here. I do pretty good on burbot only keep them when they are between 36-44 inches with trotline, also sheefish (freshwater tarpon 3-4 foot long) in the Yukon and we have several fishnets for salmon. Hard to ice fish in river and lakes freeze out where we are at. I did do great laker fishing in other parts of Alaska though.

I do miss the ethnicity back in Pa, but wifey cooks up halupki pretty regular. Up here, the Whites are the foreigners and we got Indians everywhere, but I get along with everybody out the village and hunt with them most the time.

I watch Otter games on dir tv when they televise on NHL channel.

I have seen 70 lbs kings in fishnets, they didn't get near that big Erie, boy I miss the walleye, they'd do so good in the Yukon if they were planted. We have pike and get them in sloughs, some up to 50 inches. We usually just rope an old skinned out moose head in an eddy and catch grayling.

I hear from friends it really has gotten alot worse over the last 20 years in Pa, I haven't been back since 97, then only stayed 2 days, couldn't take it any longer. I still have fond memories of growing up there, good talking to ya.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man!, still waiting for my press! The funds cleared the bank so I guess its on its way. I tried for days to get in contact with them to ask a simple question and finally did, the guy there said they are several,several weeks out and many things for their presses are on back order to boot. I managed to find about 1200 spp's locally and cant wait to get started!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Reloading has become a black hole for spending, but I feel so much better knowing I'm (and my grandkids) are set for the future, no matter what happens. Only regret is that I spent too much on optional equipment, like neck turning, ect ect; maybe I should have waited a year or so. Reason is that I'm not applying it all; just reloading for what seems to work for me. 380guy, you should be out on the bay ice fishing right now.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,416 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reloading has become a black hole for spending, but I feel so much better knowing I'm (and my grandkids) are set for the future, no matter what happens. Only regret is that I spent too much on optional equipment, like neck turning, ect ect; maybe I should have waited a year or so. Reason is that I'm not applying it all; just reloading for what seems to work for me. 380guy, you should be out on the bay ice fishing right now.
Can you believe its not frozen over enough yet. It never froze last year and this year, with the exception of the past couple weeks has been fairly warm. Misery Bay froze over enough but we had a big warm up last week that took care of that pretty quick. Its been cold, windy and snowy the last week and quite frankly, I'm tired of plowing it!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
We usually have 4-5 feet of ice on the Yukon, ice out usually happens in late April. +16 today, pretty nice; last weekend was minus 50s entire weekend; I'm glad it has warmed up some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts